CHAPTER 4

Later that day, with Zach having left for work, Evangeline took charge of cleaning and doing laundry, attempting to bring a semblance of order to the chaos that had unfolded earlier. As she diligently worked, Monica, who remained at the house, seemed detached from the situation.

Evangeline who was done investing time in cleaning the kitchen, discovered it dirty again, clearly showcasing Monica's neglect to clean up after herself. Frustration and disappointment etched across her face.

Evangeline, noticing the uncleaned kitchen, couldn't contain her frustration. "Monica, we need to talk," she said, her voice tinged with a mix of exhaustion and irritation.

Monica, seemingly indifferent, responded, "Can't this wait? I'm not in the mood for more drama."

Evangeline, however, wasn't willing to let it slide. "This is not drama; it's about respect. If you're going to stay here, at least clean up after yourself."

Monica scoffed, "Why does it matter? Everything's already a mess anyway."

Evangeline's frustration which was evident in her tone, asserted, "It matters because this is MY house."

Monica, with a sarcastic smirk, countered, "Correction, it's Zach's."

"He's my husband, and everything that is his is mine," Evangeline retorted, emphasizing the strength of their marital bond.

Monica, taking a low blow, sneered, "Well, this child is definitely not yours! Haha!"

Evangeline's confidence wavered at Monica's cutting words. She found herself unable to muster a response to such a personal attack.

Turning away, she questioned with a mix of hurt and bewilderment, "What did I ever do to you for you to destroy my marriage like this?"

Monica's earlier smirk transformed into a mask of hidden guilt as she scoffed, "I wanted your life. You have a great and loving man, a good home, and probably... a lot more reasons for me to take it. After all, your husband wanted a child, and you're lacking on that. Sorry, not sorry." The venom in Monica's words hung in the air.

Evangeline, engulfed in a wave of insecurity and self-doubt, refrained from further argument, recognizing the painful truth in Monica's words. The realization that she was living a good life, cherished by her husband, only deepened the wound of her perceived failure.

Lost in her thoughts, Evangeline silently cleaned the mess in the kitchen, each dish and countertop carrying the weight of her internal struggle and the shattered pieces of a once-happy home.

Evangeline, seeking an escape from the heavy atmosphere of the house, decided to take a bath after finishing the arduous task of cleaning. Determined to break free from the confines of her troubled home, she chose a slightly different dress, one that was more daring and exuded confidence and allure.

This change in attire symbolized her desire to reclaim a sense of independence and rediscover the places she had set aside since getting married. The dress, revealing yet elegant, was a reflection of her intention to regain control over her life and seek solace outside the suffocating walls of her chaotic home.

As the sun was setting, Evangeline hesitated for a moment, thinking about her usual routine of making dinner. But then, she reminded herself that her husband wouldn't be coming home for her anymore.

So, she grabbed her phone and wallet, and with determined steps, she left the house.

Evangeline hailed a cab, feeling a mix of nervousness and excitement. The cab rolled through familiar streets, bringing back memories of a life she had put on hold. It finally stopped in front of a night bar she used to frequent before meeting Zach.

She paid the cab fare, took a deep breath, and pushed open the door, stepping into the dimly lit venue. The music and chatter enveloped her, creating a sense of liberation she hadn't felt in years.

As Evangeline stepped into the vibrant atmosphere of the night bar, conflicting emotions surged within her. A fleeting sense of guilt crossed her mind, questioning her own actions, yet a resolute voice countered, 'Oh, I must be crazy. Why am I feeling guilty? But damn them.' In that moment, she embraced the rebellion against the constraints that had bound her for far too long.

Evangeline found herself indulging in that well-known night bar, a place frequented by high-class individuals. The upscale ambiance and sophisticated crowd surrounded her as she navigated through the sea of elegantly dressed patrons.

Ascending to the upper floor, Evangeline's eyes met those of Michael, her barista friend, who greeted her with genuine excitement, waving her over. With a smile, she walked eagerly toward the counter.

"Michael! It's been ages!" Evangeline exclaimed, her eyes reflecting genuine joy.

He grinned, setting aside a cup he was holding. "Eva! I thought you vanished off the face of the Earth. What brings you back to this side of town?"

Evangeline chuckled, "Life happened. I needed a break from the usual routine."

"Well, you picked the right spot for a change. How's everything with you?" Michael inquired, his eyes showing sincere concern.

Evangeline responded with a nonchalant shrug, settling into the only vacant seat at the counter among a group of men.

"How's your wife?" she inquired, observing Michael expertly preparing a strong drink for her.

Michael handed her the drink, a knowing smile on his face. "She's good, thanks for asking. Still putting up with my caffeine addiction and late-night shifts here. You know how it goes."

Evangeline took a sip, savoring the bold flavor. "Some things never change. But hey, it's good to catch up like this. Feels like I stepped back into a different time."

He nodded, "Yeah, sometimes a little nostalgia is just what we need. So spill the tea, Eva. What's been going on in your side?"

Evangeline forced a smile, but Michael could see through the façade.

"Nothing, really. Just that... my husband wanted a child. We could've adopted a baby, but I guess he wanted it fresh from the womb." Evangeline laughed, trying to make light of the situation, but Michael sensed the pain behind her eyes.

"He cheated on you, didn't he?" Michael stated bluntly, placing a comforting hand on hers.

Evangeline bit her lower lip to hold back tears, nodding in response.

"That mother--" Michael cut off his own words, reconsidering the impact on Evangeline's emotions.

"But I'm fine. I know I will be. I can still handle it. I want to fight for my marriage, I want to win him back," she confessed, determination flickering in her eyes.

Michael smiled proudly, "Attagirl. Now drink up."

The night was long, and Evangeline enjoyed her time with her friend.

The night unfolded and Evangeline's laughter echoed in the dimly lit bar. The music, the chatter, and the clinking of glasses served as a temporary escape from the sorrow in her heart.

Michael, being the supportive friend he was, kept her company throughout the evening.

As the clock ticked away, Evangeline found herself drunk and dancing her heart out.