CHAPTER 9

"So what happened?" Jeremy's voice cut through the silence in the car, breaking the monotony of the road. Evangeline remained silent, her gaze fixed on the passing scenery outside the window.

Evangeline took a deep breath, trying to gather her thoughts before responding. "I left him," she finally murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

Jeremy's grip on the steering wheel tightened as he processed the news. "Why? What happened?"

Evangeline hesitated, unsure of how much to disclose. "It's complicated," she replied, her gaze fixed on the passing scenery outside.

"I thought you guys were so in love." He scoffed almost making fun of it.

Jeremy was never really a fan of his sister's husband, Zachary. He was the first to hate him ever since Evangeline introduced Zach to the family when they were younger. Jeremy just hated how confident Zach's gazes are and how handsome he is in everyone's eyes.

"I thought you two were so in love," Jeremy remarked with a hint of disbelief, his tone laced with sarcasm.

Jeremy had never been a fan of his sister's husband, Zachary. From the moment Evangeline introduced Zach to the family during their younger years, Jeremy harbored a deep dislike for him. He couldn't stand the way Zach's confident demeanor and undeniable charm seemed to captivate everyone around him.

What bothered Jeremy even more was the impact Zachary had on his own life. He remembered the countless times his girlfriend had been charmed by Zach's smooth words and suave demeanor, causing strain in their relationship.

But he never dared tell his sister the real reason his girlfriend left him. Zachary was always the one who couldn't say no to women. He was the so-called 'gentleman,' and even though he knew someone was flirting with him, he didn't mind, even if he already had Evangeline.

"Yeah, so did I," Evangeline replied, her tone heavy with disappointment. "But things change, I guess."

Jeremy nodded in understanding, his expression grave. "Do you want to go back to your residence? Maybe you should stay with me for awhile."

Evangeline managed a weak smile, grateful for her brother's support. "Yes, Jer. I will. I'm afraid he might come to take me away."

'I knew it, it must be the reason,' he thought, unintentionally showing his anger through driving too fast, which Evangeline immediately noticed.

"Jeremy, slow down," Evangeline alarmed him, snapping Jeremy out of his thoughts.

He immediately eased off the accelerator and realized that he had arrived at his house. As the gate opened, detecting his car, Jeremy carefully drove inside and parked.

The moment Evangeline stepped out of the car, a strong hand grabbed her arm, almost causing her to stumble, but thankfully she managed to grab hold of the car's door.

"What the hell, Jerry!" she yelled, thinking it was her brother, Jeremy, trying to rush her. However, as she looked up, she saw Zach fuming in anger, his face red.

"Why are you here?! Let's go home!" Zach demanded.

"No!! I don't want to! Let me go!" Evangeline screamed, catching Jeremy's attention. He rushed to his sister's aid and delivered a strong punch to his brother-in-law's face, causing him to fall.

"You shouldn't have come here! You bastard!" Jeremy warned, pointing at him.

As Zach stumbled backward, his eyes flashed with fury, and he lunged forward, aiming for Jeremy. But before he could reach him, Evangeline stepped between them, her hands raised in a pleading gesture.

"Stop it, both of you!" she cried, her voice trembling with anger. "This isn't solving anything."

Jeremy's fists were still clenched, his nostrils flaring with indignation. "He needs to learn some respect," he muttered through gritted teeth.

Zach straightened up, his chest heaving with rage. "And you need to learn to stay out of other people's business," he retorted, his voice dripping with venom.

Evangeline's blood boiled as she looked from one to the other, her anger mounting with every passing moment. She couldn't believe Zach's audacity, his blatant disregard for her feelings and her family.

"You have no right to say that!" she shot back, her voice laced with fury. "You've been nothing but selfish and manipulative, Zach. I'm sick of it!"

Zach's expression hardened, his features twisted with anger. "Oh, and I suppose you're the perfect little angel, aren't you?" he sneered. "Always playing the victim, never taking responsibility for your own actions."

Evangeline felt her temper flare at his words. "How dare you?" she seethed, her voice trembling with rage. "You don't get to blame me for your mistakes, Zach. You're the one who cheated, who lied, who betrayed me!"

Zach's face contorted with anger, his fists clenched at his sides. "I did what I had to do," he growled. "I did it for us, for our future."

Evangeline scoffed, her disbelief evident in her tone. "For us? You call sleeping with another woman 'for us'? Don't make me laugh, Zach. You did it for yourself, and you know it."

The tension between them crackled in the air, thick and suffocating. Evangeline's heart pounded in her chest as she faced off against her husband, her resolve hardening with every passing second. She knew that she couldn't stay with him any longer, not after everything he had done.

"I'm done, Zach," she declared, her voice firm and unwavering. "I can't do this anymore. I deserve better than this, better than you."

Zach's eyes narrowed, his expression dark and unreadable. "Fine," he spat, his voice cold and cutting. "If that's how you want it, then go. But expect me to come for you. You are mine, Evangeline. You are coming with me once my patience wears out."

With those words, he turned his back and was about to walk away but Evangeline's anger surged like a tidal wave. She stormed towards Zach, her eyes blazing with fury.

"You have no right to barge in here and demand anything from me!" she seethed, her voice trembling with rage. "You've already made your choice, Zach. You chose her over me, so don't you dare try to control my life anymore!"

Zach recoiled slightly at her ferocity, but his own stubbornness refused to yield. "I'm still your husband, Evangeline. I have every right to protect you, to take care of you."

Evangeline scoffed bitterly. "Protect me? From what, Zach? From your own betrayal? From your own mistakes?" Her words cut through the air like a knife, each one laced with the pain of betrayal.

Jeremy stepped forward, his presence a calming force amidst the storm of emotions. "Enough, Zach," he interjected firmly. "You've caused enough damage already. Leave her be."

Zach's expression softened momentarily, a flicker of remorse crossing his features. But then, his pride resurfaced, and he straightened his posture defiantly.

"I won't give up on us, Evangeline," he declared, his voice tinged with desperation. "I'll fight for our marriage until the very end."

But Evangeline's resolve remained unshaken. "There's nothing left to fight for, Zach," she replied, her voice laced with finality. "Our marriage died the moment you chose her over me."

With those words, Evangeline turned on her heel and walked away, leaving Zach and Jeremy standing in the wake of their shattered relationship.