CHAPTER 30

While Evangeline stayed in Klein's office, the exhaustion caught up with her, and she found herself nodding off on the couch. Klein watched her for a moment, a fond smile playing on his lips at her peaceful expression.

He gently draped a blanket over her, ensuring she was comfortable as she slept. With a quiet sigh, he returned to his desk as the soft sound of Evangeline's breathing became a comforting presence in his quiet office.

As Klein worked, he found himself stealing glances at Evangeline. Somehow grateful for the miracle that this woman was carrying his child. But deep inside him, he could never admit that special feeling. Evangeline's place in his heart only ends there-a woman carrying his child.

Hours passed, the sun slowly sinking below the horizon, casting a warm glow through the windows of the office. Evangeline stirred from her slumber, blinking sleepily as she sat up on the couch.

"Hey," Klein greeted her softly, offering her a warm smile. "Feeling better?"

Evangeline nodded, rubbing her eyes. "Yeah, thanks. Sorry for dozing off," she apologized sheepishly.

Klein waved off her apology, his expression gentle. "No need to apologize. You needed the rest," he reassured her.

With a grateful smile, Evangeline stretched her arms, feeling rejuvenated from her nap. "What time is it?" she asked, glancing around the office.

Klein checked the time on his watch. "It's almost dinner time. Are you hungry?" he inquired, rising from his desk.

Evangeline nodded eagerly, the prospect of food bringing a spark to her eyes. "Starving," she admitted with a chuckle.

Klein chuckled, extending a hand to help her up from the couch. "Let's go grab something to eat then," he suggested, leading the way out of the office.

Evangeline glanced around the empty office, noticing that they were the only ones left aside from the security guards stationed for safety. She turned to Klein with a puzzled expression. "How long have I been asleep?" she inquired, hugging herself.

Klein checked his watch before replying, "About three hours. Where do you want to eat?" He asked, removing his own coat and draping it over Evangeline's shoulders to shield her from the chilly air.

As they finally exited the building, Klein's bodyguards immediately bowed to greet him and opened the car door for them.

"Good evening, sir," one of them greeted respectfully.

Klein nodded in acknowledgment and gestured for Evangeline to enter the car first. She lowered her head slightly and slipped into the car, clutching the coat Klein had given her to keep it from falling.

Klein followed suit, settling into the car beside Evangeline. The door closed with a soft thud, enveloping them in the quiet comfort of the vehicle's interior.

"Where to, sir?" the driver inquired, glancing at Klein through the rearview mirror.

Klein glanced at Evangeline before replying, "Let's head to that Italian place downtown."

Evangeline smiled in agreement, feeling grateful for the warmth of the coat Klein had draped over her shoulders. She leaned back in her seat, enjoying the ride through the city streets.

The drive was long and quiet and so Evangeline decided to break the silence with a question. "So, where are we heading for dinner again?" she inquired, her stomach grumbling in anticipation.

Klein glanced at her with a knowing smile. "We're going to this charming Italian place downtown. They serve the most exquisite pasta dishes and mouthwatering pizzas," he replied, his voice tinged with excitement.

Evangeline's eyes lit up at the mention of Italian cuisine. "That sounds delightful! What would you recommend?" she asked eagerly, already imagining the savory dishes they would soon indulge in.

Klein pondered for a moment before responding, "Their homemade lasagna is to die for, and you can't miss out on their wood-fired pizzas. And for dessert, their tiramisu is absolutely divine," he suggested, his enthusiasm evident in his voice.

Evangeline's mouth watered at the thought of the delectable dishes awaiting them. "That all sounds amazing! I can't wait to try it," she exclaimed, her stomach growling in agreement.

Klein chuckled at her enthusiasm, his eyes twinkling with amusement. "I'm glad you're excited. It's one of my favorite spots in the city," he admitted, his tone nostalgic.

As their conversation almost ended, Evangeline's curiosity suddenly piqued. "Wait, isn't tiramisu a Japanese cuisine?" she asked, her brow furrowing in confusion.

Klein chuckled at her question, shaking his head gently. "Actually, tiramisu is an Italian dessert. It's made with layers of coffee-soaked ladyfingers, mascarpone cheese, and cocoa powder," he explained, his tone patient as he clarified the misconception.

Evangeline's eyes widened in realization. "Oh, I see! I must have gotten it mixed up with something else," she admitted sheepishly, grateful for Klein's explanation.

Klein smiled reassuringly. "No worries. It's a common misconception. But I promise you, once you try it, you'll understand why it's such a beloved Italian delicacy," he assured her.

Upon their arrival at the restaurant, the staff warmly greeted them in Italian and graciously ushered them to their table.

As they settled into their seats, Evangeline glanced around the restaurant, taking in the elegant ambiance. "Do you come here often?" she asked, breaking the silence.

Klein nodded, his eyes scanning the room. "Yes, occasionally," he replied, his tone casual.

Evangeline's curiosity was piqued. "Have you ever brought anyone here before?" she inquired, unable to resist probing further.

Klein hesitated for a moment before answering, "Yes, a few times."

Evangeline raised an eyebrow, intrigued by his response. "Anyone special?" she pressed, unable to mask her curiosity.

Klein's gaze met hers, his expression unreadable. "Yes, someone special," he replied simply, his voice tinged with a hint of mystery.

Evangeline's mind raced with questions, but she decided not to push further. Instead, she smiled and changed the subject. "Well, I'm glad you decided to bring me here tonight," she said warmly, hoping to steer the conversation in a lighter direction.

"What about you? Have you brought someone to your favorite restaurant?" Klein asked casually, trying to sound nonchalant.

Evangeline's smile widened at the unexpected inquiry, but she couldn't help but feel a twinge of nostalgia. "Well, of course," she replied, her gaze drifting downwards involuntarily.

Klein felt a surge of discomfort at the thought of Evangeline with someone else, but he quickly masked it with a neutral expression. "Who?" he asked, trying to maintain his composure.

Evangeline let out a soft laugh, her eyes sparkling with memories. "Just a few of my exes. You know, years back. I was so young and in love," she explained, her tone tinged with fondness.

Though Evangeline saw it as a lighthearted conversation, for Klein, it was anything but. As she reminisced about her past relationships, he couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled in the pit of his stomach.