CHAPTER 34

Jeremy's shock quickly morphed into anger as he processed Evangeline's revelation. He slammed his cup of coffee down on the table, his face contorted with fury.

"What do you mean it's Klein's?" he demanded, his voice rising with each word. "You're carrying his baby?"

Evangeline recoiled at her brother's sudden outburst, her heart sinking as she realized that some people are glancing their way. "Jeremy, please, calm down," she pleaded, reaching out to him.

But Jeremy shook off her hand, his eyes blazing with indignation. "Calm down? How can I calm down, Evangeline? You're pregnant with Klein's child! How could you let this happen?" He spoke and breathed in a whisper.

Evangeline's own frustration bubbled to the surface as she stood her ground. "It's not like I planned this, Jeremy," she retorted, her voice tinged with defiance. "Things happen, okay? And besides, it's my life, my decision."

Jeremy's jaw clenched as he struggled to contain his anger. "Your decision? What about the consequences, Evangeline? Do you even realize what this means? What about Zach? How do you think he'll react?"

Evangeline's resolve wavered at the mention of Zach, her heart heavy with uncertainty. "I don't care about Zach. He's out of my life," she sternly spoke.

Evangeline's resolve hardened as she met Jeremy's gaze head-on. "Maybe it's better this way," she stated firmly. "At least now, Zach won't have any hold over me anymore."

Jeremy's expression softened slightly at his sister's words, but his concern remained palpable. "And what about Klein?" he pressed, his voice laced with apprehension.

Evangeline hesitated for a moment before responding, "He already knows," she admitted.

A flicker of realization crossed Jeremy's features as he connected the dots. "Is that why he offered to let you stay at his house?"

Evangeline nodded silently, confirming his suspicion.

Jeremy's features hardened with determination. "No, I'm taking you back," he declared, his voice leaving no room for argument as he stood up and went to his car.

With a steely resolve, Jeremy's demeanor shifted, his expression was firm and resolute. "No, I'm talking to Klein or I'm taking you back," he declared firmly, his voice brooking no opposition as he rose from his seat and headed towards the door.

Evangeline quickly gathered her things and hastened to join him, her heart heavy with the weight of his disapproval. As they made their way to the car, she couldn't shake the feeling of guilt that gnawed at her insides.

As they drove back to Klein's residence, a heavy silence hung between them, broken only by the occasional sound of tires on the road. Evangeline glanced sideways at Jeremy, his hands gripping the steering wheel with a tightness that mirrored the tension in his jaw.

"Jeremy, I-" Evangeline began her voice tentative.

Jeremy cut her off with a sharp gesture. "Save it," he muttered while his eyes were fixed on the road ahead.

Evangeline bit her lip, her heart heavy with guilt and regret. She had never intended to cause her brother such distress, yet here they were, driving in silence.

As they pulled up to Klein's estate, Jeremy turned off the engine and sat in silence for a moment, his hands still on the wheel. Evangeline hesitated, unsure of what to say or do to mend the rift between them.

Finally, Jeremy let out a heavy sigh, his exhaustion evident in his softened tone. "How did it happen?" he asked, his eyes searching hers for answers. "Were you cheating on Zach before the divorce?"

Evangeline shook her head vigorously, "No, Jeremy, it's not like that," she insisted, her voice tinged with emotion. "It's... complicated."

She took a deep breath as she continued, "When Zach brought Monica to our house, I was upset and needed to clear my head. I went to the club we used to go to. I drank too much, and the next thing I knew, I woke up beside a stranger. I didn't even see his face, Jeremy. I had no idea who he was. I found out later when Klein and I met at the welcome party you arranged for me, that he was the man I slept with."

Jeremy massaged his temples, emitting a low groan of frustration. "My God, Evangeline. What have you gotten yourself into?" he muttered, his voice heavy with concern. He paused, his gaze turning to his sister.

"Do you even know what kind of man Maximilian Klein is?" he questioned, leaning back in his seat.

Evangeline felt a wave of uncertainty wash over her. She shook her head slightly, feeling a pang of regret for her ignorance.

"That guy... He's worse than Zach. If you're just going to end up with him, then it would have been better if you went back to Zach," Jeremy remarked bitterly.

Evangeline's heart sank at his words, feeling the weight of her decisions pressing down on her. "If you knew who he was, why did you make a deal with him? Why did you let me sign a contract with him? I thought you trusted him because he was your friend?" she asked, her voice tinged with confusion.

Jeremy's expression shifted, his eyes narrowing in surprise. "What contract?" he inquired. His tone was demanding answers.

"The marriage contract?" Evangeline replied, her voice barely above a whisper.

Before Jeremy could even react, there was a sharp knock on the car's window, interrupting their conversation.

"This man is too much to handle," Jeremy muttered under his breath as he rolled down Evangeline's window.

"What are you guys doing outside?" Klein's amused voice came through the window as he leaned in, opening the door for Evangeline.

With a subtle grip on Evangeline's arm, Klein guided her out of the car, a warm smile gracing his features.

"I, um, I'll talk to you tomorrow," Evangeline informed Jeremy, her eyes flickering with uncertainty.

Klein tapped on the car's roof almost telling Jeremy to leave. "Thanks for taking her home, bud," he said, his attention already shifting away from Jeremy as he turned his back.

"This is not her fucking home." Jeremy uttered quietly and drove off.