CHAPTER 18

The two immediately rush towards the doctor. The physician removes his stethoscope and faces Zach with a smile.

"Congratulations, your wife is pregnant. She is healthy, as is the fetus. She will be ready to leave as soon as she wakes up. If she has a personal OB-GYN, you can have her visit for additional check-ups. That'll be all," the doctor announces before leaving.

Jeremy curses under his breath and hurries into the room, while Zach remains in a state of shock.

Once the news finally sinks in, Zach can't help but laugh quietly to himself. His wife, Evangeline, is pregnant with his child! It's unbelievable. Evangeline was diagnosed as infertile by her OB-GYN three years ago, and now she's expecting? It must be a miracle!

Overwhelmed with joy, Zach struggles to contain his excitement. He wants to burst into the room and embrace Evangeline, but he fears he might startle her.

Instead, he paces back and forth outside the room, his mind racing with thoughts of what to say once he finally enters. He replays the doctor's words in his head, trying to grasp the reality of the situation. The idea of becoming a father to his and Evangeline's child, which they always have dreamed of, fills him with happiness.

As he walks, he rehearses various scenarios, imagining how Evangeline might react to the news. He wants to convey his joy and excitement, but he also wants to respect her feelings and give her space if needed. With each step, he tries to compose himself, preparing to greet his wife with the news that will change their lives from now on.

He was poised to open the door when it unexpectedly swung open, revealing Jeremy with a glare that could freeze lava.

"She wants to talk to you. And don't you dare try anything funny," Jeremy warned, his protectiveness for his sister evident in every word.

Zach entered cautiously, finding Evangeline lying on the bed, her gaze fixed on the window.

Clearing his throat to gain her attention, Zach felt his heart drop as Evangeline turned to look at him. The despair in her eyes cut through him, leaving him feeling helpless.

"Evangeline... My love..." Zach's voice was soft as he approached, taking a seat beside her. He reached for her hand, the touch providing a fleeting sense of connection.

"Haa... That endearment is always nice to hear," Evangeline responded weakly, her gaze dropping to their intertwined hands.

"You heard the news?" she asked, a hint of bitterness in her tone. Zach nodded, managing a small smile as Evangeline chuckled bitterly.

"Yeah, feels great, right? To finally be a father," she remarked, studying his reaction closely.

"I missed you..." Evangeline's sudden confession caught Zach off guard, but her next words shattered any hope he had held onto.

"...is what you'd expect me to say."

Evangeline turned away, her tears threatening to spill over.

"I've always wanted a family with you. I have always dreamed of holding our child," she continued, her voice trembling with emotion as she placed her hand atop Zach's.

"You will have no parental rights over this child. I refuse to let my child be associated with yours and Monica's," Evangeline stated firmly, pulling her hand away from Zach's and sitting up straight.

"My child will bear the Sinclair name and have no connection to you," she added with a bitter edge, catching Zach off guard.

"Evangeline, what are you saying? That child is mine, whether you like it or not," Zach snapped, rising abruptly from his seat.

"Yours?" Evangeline scoffed, her demeanor hardening. "Last time I checked, I am not Monica. The child you're claiming belongs to Monica, not me."

Zach's denial only fueled Evangeline's resolve. "You chose Monica over me because of that child. You hurt and abandoned me for her sake," she accused, her anger evident in her furrowed brow.

"No, I didn't abandon you, Evangeline. I hurt you, yes, but I never abandoned you. You're the one who walked away from us," Zach countered, frustration lacing his words.

"And what should I have done? Stayed? My father chose his mistress over our family, and my mother chased after him. But I am not my mother. I am every bit of a bitch my mother could never be. And this bitch is saying, you are not my child's father. You will never be." Evangeline retorted, her determination unwavering.

"You think you can just push me away, Evangeline?" Zach's voice dripped with disdain as he squared his shoulders, meeting her gaze with fiery intensity. "You'll regret this. You'll beg for me to come back, mark my words."

Evangeline's expression remained stoic, her resolve unyielding. "I don't need you, Zach. I never did."

With a final contemptuous glance, Zach stormed out of the room, his words hanging in the air like a bitter promise. He knew he'd do whatever it took to prove Evangeline wrong and reclaim his place in her life, even if it meant tearing down every barrier she'd erected between them.

Evangeline's days were calm and quiet. When the day of the party Jeremy planned for her finally arrived, he helped her get dressed up for the night.

Evangeline shimmered in an almost nude bodycon gown adorned with glitter. The dress hugged her curves, its fabric nearly transparent yet delicately veiling her figure. As she moved, the gown caught the light, casting a subtle sparkle that accentuated her every step.

Her hair was styled into a low braided bun, woven intricately to create an elegant yet timeless look. Delicate tendrils framed her face, softening her features and adding a touch of romance to her ensemble. The subtle sparkle of her gown was echoed in the shimmering highlights woven throughout her braid, lending an ethereal quality to her overall appearance. With her flawless makeup and effortless hairstyle, Evangeline was truly a vision of beauty as she prepared to step into the evening's festivities.

The venue exuded sophistication in every detail. Its sleek lines and minimalist decor spoke of refined elegance, while the muted color palette of ivory, gold, and charcoal lent an air of understated luxury. Crystal chandeliers hung from the ceiling, casting a soft, warm glow over the space, while floor-to-ceiling windows offered breathtaking views of the city skyline. Plush velvet seating in rich shades of burgundy and navy provided sumptuous comfort, while marble tables gleamed in the ambient light. Artfully arranged floral centerpieces adorned each table, adding a touch of natural beauty to the contemporary surroundings. As guests mingled and sipped on champagne, the ambiance was one of sophistication and grace, perfectly suited to the occasion.

Evangeline's smile widened as she surveyed the attendees of the party. Among them was Zach, accompanied by his secretary.

As she descended the stairs, her progress was halted by a sudden embrace from behind, the arms wrapping firmly around her waist and pulling her behind the nearby curtains. The unexpected movement nearly caused her to spill her champagne.

"Well, well, well... Who do we have here? My dear long-lost Cindy,"