CHAPTER 39

"Max, I can't do this anymore," she pleaded as her voice trembled with emotion. "You're too controlling, too possessive. I need space."

Klein's face twisted with anger, his fists clenched at his sides. "How can you say that? I just want what's best for us," he retorted, his voice rising with frustration. "You're mine, and I can't let you go!"

His girlfriend took a step back and fear flickering in her eyes. "See, this is what I mean," she said, her voice shaking. "You're scaring me, Max. I can't stay with someone who makes me feel like this."

Klein's expression suddenly softened. The anger slowly dissipating and desperation was evident in his eyes. "Please, don't leave me," he pleaded while reaching out to her. "I'll change, I promise. Just give me another chance."

But his girlfriend shook her head, tears streaming down her cheeks. "I'm sorry, Max," she whispered, turning away from him. "It's over."

Klein's heart shattered as he watched her leave, his emotions spiraling out of control. He yelled after her, begging her to come back, but she was gone.

Klein found himself consumed by a relentless torment. Even after the days that followed, he was still unable to accept the reality of their breakup. He began to obsessively track his ex-girlfriend's movements, desperate for any sign of her presence.

One evening, as he trailed her through the city streets, his worst fears were confirmed. He watched in silent agony as she walked out from a restaurant, arm in arm with another man. Anger surged through Klein's veins like a raging inferno that threatened to consume him whole.

Without a second thought, he charged forward, his fists clenched in fury. Ignoring the bystanders who shouted warnings and pleas for him to stop, he lunged at the man beside her, his blows raining down with relentless force.

The man staggered backward, caught off guard by Klein's sudden assault. But Klein was relentless, driven by a primal instinct to protect what he believed was rightfully his. He continued to strike out blindly, fueled by a potent cocktail of jealousy and rage.

It was only when he felt strong arms pulling him away that Klein finally relented, his chest heaving with exertion and adrenaline. He looked up to see a group of concerned onlookers, their faces obviously filled with shock and dismay.

But Klein paid them no mind. His attention was fixed solely on his ex-girlfriend, who stood nearby, her eyes wide with fear and disbelief. For a fleeting moment, their gazes locked and Klein saw the pain reflected in her eyes.

"Why?" Klein finally choked out, his voice hoarse with anguish. "Did you leave me because of this man?! I gave you everything! Fucking why?!"

His ex-girlfriend recoiled at the sound of her former lover's voice, her features contorted with pain and anger. "Goddamn you Max! This is why!" she spat as her voice dripped with venom as she pointed at the man Klein attacked who was now unconscious. "That is my brother, damn you! You're suffocating me, Max! I can't breathe when I'm with you! Get away from me!"

Klein's heart twisted at her words. The truth of them cutting through him like a knife. "I... I just wanted to protect you," he whispered, his voice barely audible over the din of the surrounding chaos.

But his ex-girlfriend shook her head, her eyes blazing with fury. "Protect me?" she scoffed. "You call this protection? You're a monster, Max! A monster!"

The words struck Klein like a physical blow. Each syllable a dagger to his already wounded heart. He reached out to her, his hand trembling with desperation. "Baby, please..." he pleaded, his voice choked with tears. "I love you. I can't live without you."

But his girl recoiled at his touch. Her expression hardened with resolve. "I don't love you, Klein," she declared. Her voice was cold and final. "I hate you. And I never want to see you again."

With those words ringing in his ears like a death knell, Klein felt his world crumble around him. He barely registered the hands that gripped him roughly, pulling him away from the woman he loved and into the waiting arms of the authorities.

As he was escorted away, his ex-girlfriend's parting curse echoed in his ears.

"No one is gonna love you, you mentally retarded monster!"

Jeremy, Klein's former therapist, rushed to the police station. Before Jeremy had assumed control of his sister's company, he had been a practicing psychiatrist. Having been Klein's therapist, Jeremy was the one person Klein trusted and felt comfortable reaching out to in times of distress.

As Jeremy burst into the police station, his eyes scanned the room frantically until they landed on Klein, who sat slumped in a chair, his expression haunted and defeated.

"Klein!" Jeremy exclaimed while rushing over to his patient's side. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Klein looked up at Jeremy, his eyes clouded with anguish. "She left me, Jeremy," he whispered, his voice cracking with emotion. "...she's gone."

Jeremy's heart sank at the pain in Klein's voice. He knew how deeply Klein had loved Ylona, and the thought of seeing his friend in such agony tore at Jeremy's soul.

"I'm so sorry, Klein," Jeremy murmured, placing a comforting hand on his friend's shoulder. "But you can't stay here. Let's get you out of here and back to my office. We'll talk about this."

Klein nodded numbly, allowing Jeremy to lead him out of the police station and into the waiting car.

As Jeremy paces back and forth in his office, his brow furrowed with concern while he replays the recent events in his mind like a broken record. The realization that Klein his former patient is fixated on his sister, Evangeline, just sends a chill down his spine.

"How did I not see this sooner?" Jeremy mutters. Frustration was evident in his voice. He recalls the issues he had dealth with Klein over the years with regards to his mental health. The subtle hints of possessiveness and control that he now recognizes as warning signs. If only he had been more attuned to them, perhaps he could have intervened before things escalated to this point.

But dwelling on past mistakes won't solve anything. Jeremy knows he needs to act fast to protect Evangeline from Klein's growing obsession. With a frown, he reaches for his phone, ready to make some calls and devise a plan to ensure his sister's safety.

Jeremy browses through his phone, recognizing his inability to confront Klein solo. He acknowledges that Zachary Salazar, his sister's ex, is the sole contender against Klein. Jeremy braces himself and dials Zachary's number. Despite some reluctance due to Zachary's past infidelity to his sister, Jeremy admits he has no choice but to unite with him to safeguard his sister.