CHAPTER 52

Klein looked at Evangeline with a reassuring smile. "I'll give you two a moment," he said softly, nodding towards Zach, who stood a few feet away.

Evangeline nodded, her heart pounding in her chest as she turned to face Zach. "Hi, again. " she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Zach gave her a small, hesitant smile. "Hi, Evangeline," he replied, his tone cautious.

There was a moment of awkward silence between them before Evangeline spoke again. "Zach, I appreciate you coming here," she began, trying to keep her voice steady.

Zach nodded, his expression serious. "I needed to see you, Evangeline," he admitted as his gaze searched hers. "I needed to talk to you... to apologize."

Evangeline felt a lump form in her throat as memories of their past flooded back. "Zach, you don't have to apologize," she said softly. "We've both made mistakes, and I've forgiven you."

Zach shook his head, his eyes filled with regret. "But I hurt you, Evangeline," he said, his voice pleading. "I betrayed your trust, and I've regretted it every day since."

Evangeline took a deep breath, her heart aching at the sincerity in his words. "I know," she said quietly. "And it took me a long time to heal from what happened. But I've moved on, Zach. I've found someone who loves me, who chose me."

Zach's expression faltered, a pang of jealousy and longing flickering in his eyes. "Klein," he said softly, his tone resigned.

Evangeline nodded with her gaze unwavering. "Yes, Klein," she confirmed. "He's been there for me when I needed someone the most, Zach. And I've chosen to build a future with him."

Zach's shoulders slumped as the weight of his regret became heavy upon him. "I understand, Evangeline," he said quietly. "I just... I wanted you to know that I'm truly sorry. And if there's anything I can do to make things right..."

Evangeline reached out and placed a gentle hand on his arm, a small smile gracing her lips. "Thank you, Zach," she said sincerely. "But right now, I could say that you've done enough. I don't need you to do anything for me, anymore."

Zach nodded. His expression was filled with acceptance. "I wish you all the happiness in the world, Evangeline," he said softly.

Evangeline hesitated as her gaze drifted back to Klein before Zach interjected unexpectedly, "If you hadn't met Klein, would you have considered giving me another chance?"

Evangeline paused and contemplated his question, a faint smile touching her lips.

"I've forgiven you," she began softly, her tone measured. "But granting you another chance would be an entirely separate matter. You were my husband, Zach. But that's no longer the case. You had your opportunity to choose, and I had mine. I chose to move on."

With a final nod, Evangeline turned away, her hand finding Klein's as they walked away together, leaving Zach to ponder her response.

Klein's arm wrapped protectively around Evangeline's waist, surprising her with its warmth and reassurance.

"I'm sorry you have to go through all of this," he said, his expression softening with empathy. "If only I realized earlier."

Evangeline furrowed her brows, puzzled by his words. "Realized what?" she asked with curiosity.

"That you've been wanting someone to love you," he answered, his tone gentle but firm.

Evangeline was momentarily stunned, her mind racing to comprehend his words.

'Did I misunderstand something here?'

It felt like a punch to the gut, leaving her unsure how to respond.

"I... have been wanting for someone to love me?" Evangeline chuckled in disbelief, attempting to conceal the turmoil churning within her.

"Yes," he affirmed without hesitation.

Evangeline's scoff betrayed her incredulity. "Did... you say you love me because you thought I was desperate for it?" she questioned, her voice laced with hurt and accusation.

Evangeline bit her lip. Her eyes squeezed shut in a futile attempt to stem the flow of tears threatening to spill over.

"I thought... Haa..." She breathed deeply, her voice wavering with suppressed emotion, before finally opening her eyes.

"You know what? Maybe you should go for now," she said with a forced smile, her tone oddly detached as she reached to take Xander from him.

"I'll be fine. You should go to work," she commanded. Her words were lacking their usual warmth and sincerity.

Klein who sensed that something was amiss, hesitated, his concern evident in his furrowed brow. As he leaned in to kiss her cheek, he was met with an unexpected response from Evangeline.

Instead of accepting his affection, she turned her head away, avoiding his lips altogether.

"Evangeline?" he uttered, his confusion deepening at her sudden change in demeanor.

"I have a lot to do. I'll go ahead," she excused herself, leaving Klein standing there, perplexed and unsettled by her abrupt departure.

Later that day, Evangeline gathered the triplets as the workday came to a close. With a sigh of relief, she headed down to the ground floor to exit the building, her mind already drifting to the evening ahead.

However, as she reached the lobby, her heart skipped a beat when she spotted Klein engaged in conversation with another woman. Despite knowing that seeing him with someone else shouldn't bother her, a pang of jealousy shot through her chest, causing her to clench her fists in frustration.

Suppressing the urge to confront them, Evangeline forced herself to keep walking, her steps faltering slightly as she fought to control her emotions. Deep down, she knew she had no right to feel this way, but the sight still stung more than she cared to admit.

As Klein noticed Evangeline's presence, he excused himself from the conversation and hurried after her, determination etched on his face. Ignoring the curious glances around them, he reached for her, his intention clear.

But Evangeline sidestepped his advance, avoiding his lips once again, her expression guarded.

"What? What's wrong?" he asked, his confusion evident.

"Nothing," she replied stubbornly, her tone tense.

"Come on... Tell me," he insisted, his concern growing.

With a heavy sigh, Evangeline glanced at the woman who stood nearby, observing them with a hint of curiosity.

"Who is she?" Evangeline asked, her voice barely concealing her unease.

"Oh, her?" Klein paused, his smile gentle yet disconcerting to Evangeline.

"Her name is Ylona. She's my ex-girlfriend."