Chapter Five - Time to Debrief.

Sage Prescott...

Meeting Eve yesterday had been an eye-opener. For the most part being a supernatural being can be hidden from the human world.

For example, Witches can blend in easily because we simply don't have any appendages that are uncharacteristic of human beings. When we wield our magic – yes, it is more noticeable that we aren't human, but we try not to flaunt our power to humans.

Shifters are a little harder to hide – even when they aren't in their alter-form, they hold tell-tale signs of what they shift into. For example – wolves tend to have that alpha-aura about them and at times they struggle to hide their eyes, especially when they become emotionally charged.

Vampires have the hardest time – when they become lost to the blood-lust, their eyes turn blood red and the veins around their eyes become much more pronounced and all of that is without their fangs. It is partly why they tend to remain isolated from the human world only venturing out when they need to feed. There is one other form of Vampire – popular human culture calls them succubus or incubus but for us they are simply Vampires. They feed on the arousal of humans, draining their energy to give them their beautiful, youthful looks. Some say those Vampires are the most dangerous. Usually because it is much harder to gage when a human is nearing critical levels of drainage.

With that being said, there was something about Eve that screamed other-worldly. I am unsure if it is the power that I witnessed coursing through her veins in a small display when that guy grabbed her arm or if it is because she is so beautiful, which tends to be a trait of all supernatural beings. There was just something more about her. More beautiful. More vibrant. More powerful.

A knock at my dorm room door pulled me from my thoughts and the paper that I am trying to write for our magical-history class which is due tomorrow. "Yeah?" I called out.

"Can I come in Sage?" Jensen's voice replied, clipped and tense, as if he didn't even want to be here.

If I could say something about the new witch in our dorm, it would be that he confuses me. One minute I think that he might be friendly and approachable and the next minute he is distant and closed off. I wish I could read him as easily as I read Nathan in the diner yesterday when he saw Eve for the first time.

"It's open!" I closed my notebook and placed it on top of the text-book that comes with the Magical-History class.

"Miss. Nightingale wants to see us-" he popped his head around the door frame and my breath caught in my lungs.

I can't and won't deny to myself that I find this man attractive. With his unruly dark hair that I swear he styles that way. The vibrant shine in his beautiful green eyes that I swear can see right through me. The freckles on his upper face only added to the beauty that was Jensen Jackson. Today he is wearing a V-neck t-shirt that clings to every single one of his toned muscles and shows off the abundance of ink that he has. The scent of earth and leather invades my space, mingling with my own scent and it makes my heart skitter excitedly.

I am not the best student, but I am a decent witch and I know that my reaction to this man is one that he seems less than thrilled about accepting.

Fated-mate.

If I am being honest, it is less than thrilling to me either. Being bequest to another person is not my idea of a good time. I guess in the grand scheme of things I am hoping that it simply means I am going to be one of the lucky ones and only has one fated-mate. In rare instances which seem to correlate with just how powerful a supernatural being is, some of us end up with more than one fated-mate. And more often than not, it is always the women who have more than one and a part of me is insulted by that – you see, a fated-mate isn't just about falling in love. No, a fated-mate is designed to amplify and compliment your power, to help you take control of your power and boost it, help you focus and reach your full potential. As if a woman can't do all of that alone. It's insulting when you think of it from the woman's perspective.