Chapter Twelve - Can you Handle the Truth?

Kevin Stoker...

Miss. Lowell isn't exactly talented in her own mind control, and it takes me less than a minute to break through her barriers and see how much she loathes my true love. Meus verus amor. I can see without any doubt that she means to take Eve down in any way that she can, and it makes the beast in me convulse with the need to protect.

"Get out of my sight!" I hiss through my clenched teeth, fear that my fangs will elongate, and I will rip her throat out just to extinguish the threat to my heart. "And stay away from Miss. Chambers!" I add hoping the warning will be clear in my tone.

Kristy looks only slightly alarmed, and it bothers me when her mind enforces the hatred she has for Eve. Goddess, help me!

As if it isn't bad enough that the devil himself seems to have taken an interest in Eve but now, she has the added danger of an inept and careless witch to contend with. Am I enough to protect her from both threats?

Kristy shrinks from the room and closes the door behind her as I turn to my desk and gather up my papers and belongings. I need to get to Nyx now. We have to discuss the whole Lucian in Eve's mind ordeal before she slips and makes the mistake of answering him. I can only hope that she heeded the warning in my lecture today.

I know Eve's timetable and she is in Magical History right now. I guess you could say that I have become a little obsessed. I can't help but think about the way she was living; her dad wasn't much of a parent – making her go out and work while he sat home and did what exactly? Because as far as I could see there was nothing stopping him from finding a job that could cater to his bad back. The run-down apartment wasn't fit for human habitation let alone habitation for my Goddess. I had heard what he told her about her mom the night we took her from her home and planted her firmly within the protective walls of the Academy.

The money she had left him access too.

The apartment that was also left for him to use should they need it.

Eve's mother had left-means for her to be provided for and yet, her father hadn't used any of it. Instead, forcing her to work herself ragged at a shitty little diner for pittance under the guise of teaching her the importance of hard-work, while he himself did nothing. He kept a roof over her head that was only one step away from being derelict, when he could have whisked her away to his former lover's apartment. Anger at him seemed too tame. I was furious. She deserved better than that.

By the time I make it to Nyx's office, I have worked myself into a bit of a mood. I need my girl. I need her right next to me. Not halfway across the campus. The fated-bond won't allow for distance if I claim and mark her. "I had a feeling I would be seeing you soon!" The Head-Mistress greets me as I knock and pop my head around the door frame. "Come in!"

"I think that we need to talk-"

"I believe that we do, yes!" She nodded to the decanter on the silver tray in the corner of her office that was full of blood as if she had indeed been waiting for me to come by. "I believe I know what you want to talk about,"

"I am sure you know part of what I want to talk about yes, but there is a far more pressing issue than that-"

"Which is?" She asked, resting her elbows on her huge mahogany desk and steepled her fingers under her chin as she watched me.

"Someone is trying to mentally connect with Eve-" I begin as I take a seat on her plush sofa while sipping at the blood, my personal favourite, B-, "and I believe I know the signature!"

"Do I want to know?"

"Probably not but I am going to tell you anyway,"

"Ok, go ahead!"