Chapter Twenty-Seven - Rest.

A Few Hours Later...
Nathan Harper...

Nothing could have prepared me for receiving that text from Sage earlier. I had been going about my day – assisting in Demonology with Mr. Baker. It was one of my favourite subjects at the academy. I had always been drawn to the underworld and the beings who dwelled within the realm. I can't understand why more people aren't drawn to the subject.

Ever since I was a little boy; I had been fascinated by the special forces unit that primarily dealt with rogue demons who broke free from the prison that was the Hell-realm. It was a tough unit to get into, if you think about how difficult it was to get into the SWAT unit in most police forces in the human world, that was how hard it was to get into T.S.F.U. I had trained hard – getting high marks in the combat and weaponry classes the academy offered. I kept my grades as high as possible and did my extra credit in T.A. work. I would make it on to T.S.F.U.

Usually, I never kept my phone on while I was working but something told me to not only keep it turned on but to keep it in my pocket today. Thank God I had because otherwise I wouldn't have heard about Eve being in the infirmary, and possibly someone would have had to come and get me from class.

The academy helped to promote the mating-bond when they sparked because it was something that all Supes put their belief in. And knowing your mate was injured is one of very few reasons that you could be dismissed from classes. So, when my phone buzzed in my pocket earlier, I hadn't hesitated in checking it. The very moment I read it, my heart all but leapt right out of my chest.

Sage.
Eve in the infirmary. Come now!

There is no point in lying to myself, I felt my heart drop as I read those words. Every cell in my body screamed at me to get to her. I didn't even bother to grab up my things, I just said to Professor Baker that my mate was in the infirmary, and he told me to go, that he would have my things waiting in his office whenever I was ready. My legs couldn't move me quick enough as I fled the classroom and up the stairs towards the medical wing of the academy.

Fear seized my heart.

What happened to her?

Had someone attacked her?

Was it Lucian? Had he finally broken through and taken control of her?

I can't remember a time in my life where I had ever felt fear like that, and I am not above admitting that I never wanted to feel anything like it again.

Now here we were, back in our little oasis. Eve curled up at my side, her head resting against my chest. My hand slowly and softly tracing lines up and down her arm.

Sage and Jensen had joined us for a Chinese takeaway after we all agreed that none of us were in the mood to cook. Kevin was off doing research and looking into the suggestion that I had made about the herb. Andrei was avoiding Eve, and I just knew that it was because he felt like what happened to her was partly his fault.

I think the whole school knew that Kristy had set her sights on Andrei. A little fact that very few knew was not something that Andrei was interested in pursuing. Kristy was considered something of a catch around here – which in my opinion was a fucking miracle considering her toxic personality. I mean the girl was what mean-girls aspired to. I have seen her just strip other women to pieces just with a look, but I have a feeling that she may have bitten off more than she can chew with our mate.

"You ok Eve?" I asked her as we watched The Transporter 2 on the screen of the large TV that was attached to the wall.

When we arrived back at the lair, as Eve called it, we asked her where she wanted to be, and she stated the living room. After spending most of the day in a cot in the infirmary where they had kept her to ensure there was no concussion or any other delayed injury. I knew that she was simply glad to be home. I also knew enough about her at this point that she hated a fuss being made over her. I get the impression that she has never really had much attention on her at all. Which of course baffles me because she is one of the most amazing women, I have ever met but I may be a little biassed.