Chapter Six - Always the Last to Know.

That Night...
Eve Chambers...

Sundays were always the day off from the diner. It was the only day of the week that the place was closed. Sometimes I resented it because I needed the money and other times, I am thankful because working myself to the bone is not what I want for my life.

I spent the entire day cleaning the apartment while my dad sat on his ass watching sports. I cannot remember a time where I have felt so frustrated and angry. Finally, at around seven-pm, I was done and all I wanted was to have some of the frozen lasagna that I had put in the oven, and to go to bed for an early night. I felt grimy and disgusting, so while I waited for the lasagna to finish cooking, I decided to take a quick shower.

It felt amazing to stand under the hot water – feeling the heat seep into my tired muscles and my entire body beginning to relax and the tension melt away down the drain with the water – the scent of my home-made shower-gel filled the air with its sensual notes and made me feel more like a human being again. I grabbed my black and red checked PJ'S and a black camisole top to wear; I was drying my hair when I heard the laughter from the front room. Instantly my back went up as I shut off the hair-dryer and listened to the familiar voices.

Graham.

Anger flooded my system in an instance, and I could feel that familiar tingle of my power surging to the surface – having now grown used to the feeling, I wasn't entirely comfortable with the rawness of the energy, but I certainly wasn't as freaked out by it. I had been crystal clear with that snake about coming back here. Yet, here he clearly was, laughing and joking with my dad in the front room as if he hadn't learnt his damn lesson the other night. Well, I guess it is time to give him a refresher course at my will being done.

Yanking the bathroom door open, I all but flew into the front room where my vision turned to blood-red to see him relaxing on the sofa, beers on the table I had just cleaned and a plate of the lasagna that I had been cooking for dinner.

Just who the fuck did this piece of shit think he was?

Power crackled between my fingers, as if my flesh were some-type of conduit for electricity, a tingle raced up and down my spine to the point where I swear, I felt alive with power. "Evie-" he started.

"Eve!" I corrected him with venom dripping from my tone, "and I believe I told you never to come back here!" I charged angrily, stepping further into the room and caught my dad come alert as he caught sight of the power sizzling along my veins, "and I believe I told you what would happen if you did come back!"

"Please we can be reasonable here, your dad is my best friend-"

"Evie, sweetheart, what is going on?" My dad was now alert, more alert than I had ever seen him, and I was torn between keeping an eye on my would-be attacker and the man who had raised me. My fingers rolled and I was more than a little shocked when a whip-like length of electric blue-white energy braided from my fingertips.

"The other night when I didn't come home-"

"Eve, please don't!?" Graham pleaded and honestly, it had a fissure of pleasure thunder through me.

"Someone better tell me what is going on!" My dad demanded and honestly, I had begun to believe that I would never see this side of my dad again. At times it had felt as if he had lost his will to live when he had his accident and just didn't know how to get back to who he used to be.

"Your best friend came into my room when I was in the middle of getting undressed, and demanded that I get on my knees, and I believe his words were it was time to show uncle Graham what a good little cocksucker I was!" Now if I had thought my dad had lost his strength, or that somehow, he had just lost his will to live, that was erased in the space of a heart-beat as he flew from his chair at his best friend, fist flying straight into his mouth.