Chapter Fourteen - Quiet Reflection.

Kevin Stoker...

As I watched the four students stumble away from the cabin, my thoughts turned to Lucian and what he thought he was playing at.

I have no doubt that he must know what Eve is and he has decided that she might just be his ticket to finally freeing himself from the confines of Hell. Who better to break a curse from God than a Goddess?

That is what Eve is. A Goddess. I can feel it pulsing in her veins and the thread that links us together as a fated-match. It truly scares me just how attuned I am to her already. I mean, a fated-bond should not be this established without so much as a touch occurring between us let alone the lack of my claiming bite. I have read encounters of fated-matches where even after the bite; the level of connection takes time to build – it needs to be nourished.

Is the fact that Eve is a Demi-God making the connection flare so decisively without any type of intimate contact? If that is the case – she is far more powerful than any of us could have predicted.

Once the four of them are out of sight, I lock the cottage up from the inside and turn off the lights before moving down to the apartment underneath the cottage. The stone steps are cold and hard as I descend. Thank the Gods that there is electricity down here as I moved along the wide arched hallway to the section where the hall forks off to the bedroom wing and further down that hall to the very end where the master-suite is situated. Pushing the double doors open, I thank my Vampiric sight as I move around the large king-sized bed and reach the night-stand where there is a small lamp that I flick on, instantly flooding the space with a warm glow.

This will be Eve's room and as I look through the built-in storage cupboard I find a beautiful purple bed-linen set that I pull out and quickly make up the bed so that it is ready for her. I can't help but wonder if Nyx had this all planned out ahead of time – it wouldn't be such a far stretch; she always knew that Eve would end up here. It was inevitable that Eve would come into power, it had just been a matter of when. Nyx had known that Eve would be a Demi-God and that would mean more than one fated-mate and because there are no other mating-covens at the school, it would be important to nourish that connection when it happened. The academy isn't that big, and the other fated-bonds within the school were the typical two-person unions. And as always it is mostly same species bonds.

For Eve to already have a witch and a Vampire within her coven was rare but we are dealing with a Goddess which means that all the normal rules are out the window. This is a whole new dynamic that we have to feel-out as we go. It is important to encourage what and whoever Eve is pulled to. As much as I wish I were the only one, I know that she is too powerful to be mated to only one person.

Each species in the supernatural world is naturally possessive of their mates, being able to share is not a trait that any of us do well so this will be challenging but I am determined to give my mate whatever it is that she needs.

My mind wanders back to Lucian and what he has planned for my mate.

I could reach out telepathically to him and demand answers but that is what the younger me would have done. It is reckless and a snap decision that I am not intent on making, no matter how much I want to know and tell him to back off.

If my former jailer and tormentor were to know that I am fated to the girl who he is trying to seduce telepathically then she will become an even bigger target and quite possibly I could be pulled back into Hell as a way to get her to cooperate. I am not prepared to do that. For now, I have told her never to reply to the whisper in her head. The more we can keep him in the dark the more chance we have at keeping the element of surprise on our side. I know deep down that there will be a show-down at some point and that means the less he knows about her life and connections the better our chances of coming out the other side.