The Pursuit of Happiness

July 8th 2023
Kansas City, Missouri

Wow Kansas City. What a place!

Taylor couldn't believe what an amazing place it was, and how much she would miss it when she would be leaving tomorrow morning. The crowd had of course been out of this world and so supportive of the new re-record dropping. Last night had truly been one of the first times she had forgotten about everything that had made her unhappy the past year. Taylor Lautner, his new wife, who also happened to be called Taylor, and Joey King had joined her up on the stage to premiere the music video of I Can See You. Speak Now had been an album that Taylor had written completely alone, at a time when she thought she had never felt more alone. She would learn later on that this would not be the case. But it felt liberating, and right to release it now. After spending so much time in a relationship with someone, trying to write your life together and write it in a way it's not, it is freeing to be alone once more. Writing about only yourself, and your feelings; in Taylor's mind, if she only released the songs she had written alone, about herself only, the media surely couldn't make it out to be something about Joe. They always made everything she did recently to be something about Joe. 

That night was the second and final night of the Eras Tour's stop in KC, but part of her felt compelled to stay longer. Some force of nature was crying out that the city had more to offer than what she had already seen before. Or maybe, someone...

Last night, awake in her hotel room suite, she had been unable to decide on the final surprise song of the night. She had already chosen Dorothea: it felt right, not only for Selena but also for Kansas City. The place that in a short few days had felt so much like home. The love that the fans had shown her was out of this world. It was electric. Tonight her cousins were attending the show, having driven yesterday from St Louis to Kansas City, so Taylor had to finish finalising tonights set list to ensure she had enough time with her family before the show began later that evening.

"So Tay, how are you enjoying Kansas City so far?" One of her cousins Harry asked as he took a bite of a cinnamon roll. Taylor had treated the family to brunch at a small local restaurant in Kansas City. It was named Rye and it was in downtown Kansas City. She could see now why it had come so highly recommended by locals and by Kameron, one of her backup dancers on the tour and close friend. Kam's brother Khalen had previously played for the Kansas City Chiefs until last year so Kam knew Kansas City like the back of his hand and knew all of the best spots to go to in the city.

"I am really enjoying it!" Taylor replied, continuing to enjoy the Eggs Benedict that she had ordered. She was eyeing up both her cousins Harry's and Mia's cinnamon rolls, deciding to get one to go when they finished their meals. Her dad had ordered the Brioche French Toast and her mom opting for the Buttermilk Pancakes with fresh berries on the side. "The fans here have been nothing but kind and lovely. And there is virtually no paparazzi". Taylor didn't have much of a problem with the paparazzi herself; it had been more of Joe's problem, and by de facto over the years had become her problem also. In New York City they were generally respectful for the most part, remaining a safe distance away and not asking too many probing questions. She simply smiled and looked their way, they took their pictures and politely left. It was a business relationship; a simple transaction. She wished she could say the same for the paps of LA. It was a reason why she could never fully put down roots in California, no matter how much she loved it there. Joe had not only enjoyed London for its familiarity but also for its lack of media presence and paparazzi. There were tons of celebrities wondering around the streets of London and yet hardly any media presence or cameras. Taylor hadn't particularly cared much, but it made Joe happy. And at that time, that was what mattered to her. Looking back, she wished she had considered her own feelings too. Maybe things still would have ended, but maybe she wouldn't have as many regrets as she did now. Not regrets for leaving. Regrets for not leaving sooner.