Thirteen Hours

April 19th 2025
New York City, New York

"We have a problem" Travis heard the doctor state and it felt to him as if the whole world stopped spinning and he was there. Frozen in place.

"What?" That was all Travis could echo out of his mouth as he pulled himself out of his frozen trance, rushing over to Taylor's side. She was exhausted. She had been in labour for almost twenty four hours. Even though they knew that first baby's often had longer labours, this was getting out of hand. What Travis couldn't comprehend was how things had gotten so bad so quickly. He had only been gone a matter of mere minutes to ring his parents and Taylor's family to let them know that the baby would finally be here soon and to change his vomit stained clothes into some fresh new ones.

"The baby is presenting in a posterior position which explains the long labour and why things seem to have been moving so slowly. I thought she would turn but she hasn't." He could see the genuine panic on the doctor's face as she pulled her gloved hand out from under the sheets covering Taylor's legs. 

Taylor was weak, and floppy in his arms. And as pale as a ghost, newly formed.

"Tay, Taylor listen to me. You need to stay awake, do you hear me? Stay with me." Travis called out, lightly tapping the outside of her face, watching as her eyes fluttered open and shut. "What is going to happen?" Travis said in a worried tone. 

"She is ten centimetres now so Taylor will feel the urge to push but it will take longer. We need to be extra careful to make sure she does not get wedged or stuck in Taylor's pubic bone or hurts her neck. We also want to limit the risk of any postpartum hemorrhage occurring. I am going to quickly get scrubbed up and then I will be back."

The doctor swiftly left the room, leaving the two of them alone. he heard Taylor groan from beside him, watching as another contraction crashed over her in a wave of agony. 

"Oh why is it taking so long!!!" Taylor shouted in annoyance, pulling her hand away from Travis' grasp.

"I don't know sweetheart but she is about to come out now. I love you so so much, you are so brave and strong."

"Oh get out." He heard her scream. "GET OUT, GET OUT, GET OUT!!!" Travis made a beeline for the door. "Wait Travis."

Travis whipped his head back around, knowing full well what she was going to say.

"I've changed my mind. I've chan changed my mind." She whipped, curling her body into him as another contraction hit. She bit down hard on Travis had, leaving two rows of distinct bite marks across his hand.

"Ow, oh god you have no idea how much this hurts right now." Travis complained as he shook his right hand in pain. He was meet with the glares of three women: two doctors all scrubbed up and ready for delivery, and one angry Taylor, who looked ready to kill. "Ok, maybe the wrong time for that." Travis admitted, coming to get Taylor into the right position for delivery.

"I'm scared Trav!" She whimpered, shaking in fear and pain. Travis brushed the baby hairs and curled bangs off of her forehead, stroking her curls loving behind her ears. 

"You can do this Tay. I know you can!"

"No I can't. I can't do this. She seems so happy in there, why can't she just stay put. Outside, the world, it's such a big humongous mess. I can't believe we are bringing her into this. I can't be a mom!" Taylor was hysterical by now, nothing could clam her down, not even Travis' sweet words and motivation.

"You are going to be an amazing mom Tay. 

"No I am not." Taylor shook her head, tears falling from both of her eyes and Travis was unsure whether this was from the pain she was in, or from the feelings of dread that the baby would soon be here. The reality was hitting, and kicking in hard.