CHAPTER - 11

CAMERON

Rain poured down heavily, the windshield wipers swishing frantically as they struggle to keep up. The sound of the engine roars as I drove down the slick road towards Cole's party. I gripped the steering wheel, the rain pounded against the windshield, which lead to droplets running through and obscuring my vision. I have been driving for what felt like hours.

Suddenly, through the running water, I saw a figure in a distance. It looked like a girl, desperately seeking shelter under a flimsy roof that barely shielded her from the drenching rainfall. I squinted through the misty glass to get a better look. And there, standing drenched in rain, was Elle?

Without a second thought, I pulled the car over the shoulder of the flooded road. The heavy droplets battered against me as I stepped out, feeling the water soak through my clothes instantly. Ignoring the discomfort, I sprinted towards her, my heart racing like a formula one car.

As I got closer, I could see the droplets glistening on her hair and clothes, outlining the contours of her face. Her eyes widened in surprise as I approached, the rain continued to soak her to the bone. Her lips curled into a slight smile as I reached her side. The downpour was making it difficult to hear anything other than the sound of the rain crashing against the ground.

Without needing to say a word, I took off my jacket and draped it over her trembling shoulders.

She looked up at me, in the eye. Time seemed to stand still as a rush of emotions filled the air between us, magnified by the intensity of the storm. Cautiously, I took her hand into mine, feeling the warmth and softness of her touch even through wetness.

Neither the rain, nor the party mattered anymore. All that mattered was her.

Together we made our way back to my car, raindrops splashing against our faces as we moved slowly. Opening the passenger seat, I helped her inside, ensuring she was as comfortable as possible. The image of her, seated with my jacket wrapped around her, stirred up a peculiar emotion in me. The stupid heart in my chest did something weird as I looked at her.

For a few moments, silence filled the air as I adjusted the temperature controls and turned on the heater, hoping to warm her up. The rain beats relentlessly against the car roof, providing a rhythmic backdrop to the tense atmosphere within.

Pulling myself together, I started to drive through the flooded road, the water splashing against the car tires. I glanced at Elle out of the corner of my eyes, noticing her shiver. I wrapped my arms around her, hoping to offer some warmth and comfort. It was in that moment that she suddenly asked me to stop the car. Confused, I immediately complied, pulling over to the side of the road. Elle jumped out of the car and started running in the heavy rain. I hurried out of the car and ran after her, calling out her name. "Elle, wait! What's wrong?"

She ignored my words and continued running, her footsteps flashing in the puddle as she dashed towards the bus stop a short distance away. I followed her, my heart pounding with confusion. Eventually, we reached the shelter of the bus stop, raindrops were cascading down our faces.

Breathing heavily, I stood beside her. "Elle, tell me what's going on." I pleaded.

Her anger blazed as she turned to face me, her soaked hair sticking to her face. "You've been ignoring me all week, pretending like I don't exist." She hissed through gritted teeth. "Why don't you just continue to do that."

The tension in the air was palpable as we faced each other, both of us drenched and soaked to the bone. I took a deep breath. "I told you I have better things to do than just follow you around. But I guess you got used to it."