CHAPTER - 16

CAMERON

The final quarter arrived and the intensity of the game reached its peak. The scoreboard displayed a narrow lead for the opposing team. It became clear that this would not be an easy victory. The opposition have been continuously saving our balls from getting inside the hoop, effortlessly dunking them, and gaining points. The clock was ticking, and with each passing seconds, the gap between the points were decreasing.

I glanced in Elle's direction and I could see worry etched on her face. The crowd roared, I couldn't let them down, especially not in front of her. Beads of sweat were trickling down my forehead. The rival team quickly sprang into action, showing impressive strength and teamwork that took me by surprise. Every time my team made progress, they effortlessly took back control.

I, as a captain, knew that everything depended on me. I put in my best effort, leaping for rebounds, maneuvering past defenders, and heading towards the hoop. My muscles ached, but I refuse to give up now. We were both giving it our all, with both teams playing at an equal level.

The clock ticked down, and with only seven seconds left, my team was trailing by two points. We needed a three-pointer to secure the win. A mix of exhaustion and adrenaline coursed through my veins as I assessed the court.

Liam fought tirelessly to stop the opposite team from scoring, while Jake eagerly awaited the opportunity to steal the ball from the opposing player. Sam was also prepared to defend. Our team was strong, and I was confident that we could score three points and secure the victory. As we exchanged glances, a silent understanding passed among us.

Jake grabbed the ball and quickly tossed it to me. I caught it right in the middle of the court. Everything seemed to slow down as I concentrated on the hoop. The noise of the crowd faded away, and all I could hear was the pounding of my own heart.

I turned quickly, looking for a way through. In the middle of the crowd, I saw Elle and her sincere smile that calmed me down. This game meant more to me than just a game. I sprinted towards the basket, my rival getting closer. With all my energy, I jumped high, giving it my all to hit the target.

I released the ball from my hand, watching it ascend above the court, floating in mid-air as if frozen in time. I could feel the tension in the air as the crowd went silent, waiting in anticipation. The ball soared through the air in a perfect arc, the only noise being the satisfying swish as it went through the hoop.

I witnessed an explosion of excitement from the crowd, as joy spread across the entire gym. The sound of the final buzzer resonated in my ears, coinciding with the swift entry of the ball into the hoop. The score on the board changed as the final buzzer descended, confirming my successful three-pointer.

In the final crucial moments, my team and I successfully changed the outcome of the game, ensuring a hard-earned win. I landed on the ground and I looked over at Elle, who was standing and applauding. She gave me a thumbs-up and a wave of excitement washed over me, as if a swarm of butterflies were playing basketball in my stomach.

I returned her gesture with a smile. We shared a brief moment of laughter from distance. She began walking towards the court, and my eyes were glued on her as she sprinted and approached this place.

As she approached me, Liam stopped her in the middle. I stepped back, out of his sight. I couldn't hear what they were talking about from where I was. She looked back at me, her eyes seeking my understanding, I responded with a reassuring smile and by nodding my head.

"Captain, you did it." Nathan clapped my back. I laughed, the adrenaline still coursing through my veins as I soaked in the moment. Being the captain of the team meant everything to me, and leading us to victory in such a close game was a feeling like no other.