CHAPTER - 22

CAMERON

I felt my blood boil as her arrogance radiated from every pore. Lara rolled her eyes dismissively, glancing at Elle's attire. My protective instincts kicked in, and I couldn't bear to see her hurt. "Lara that's enough. Your comment was uncalled for and unnecessary. Please, leave us alone." I replied firmly, my gaze fixed on her.

Lara sneered. "Fine have it your way, Cam. I have more important things to do." She muttered.

Elle's face changed from surprise to calm to discomfort as Lara moved further away. She thanked me for handling the situation, and I couldn't help but smile at her. "Elle, you never have to worry. I'll have your back, whether you're around or not."

With a blink of her eyes, her face softened into a gentler look. Her lips parted slightly, as if she longed to say something, and transformed into a subtle smile. A wave of warmth washed over me, confirming that I had effectively expressed the depth of my emotions for her. Moving closer, she leaned in, and I could feel the tangible tension and unspoken feelings lingering in the air.

The air crackled with tension as she leaned even closer. And then, before I could even comprehend what was happening, she was kissing me. Her lips crashed into mine with a force that stole my breath away, her hands were on mine.

For a moment, I was lost in the sensation, the taste of her lips, the softness of her touch. Surprised by the suddenness of it all, I momentarily froze, feeling foolish. However, as the kiss intensified, everything else seemed to fade away, leaving only the sensation of her lips on mine and the sound of my heart pounding in my ears.

We pulled away slightly, my eyes widening with shock as I glanced around. We were sitting in the middle of the bustling crowd.

"What was that for?"

"That was a you're welcome gift."

Keeping us a secret was crucial. Her brother couldn't find out about us, not yet. And yet, here we are, practically broadcasting our affection for the whole world to see.

"Wow," I chuckled. "Didn't know you were a fan of public displays of affection."

She nodded. "I know, I'm sorry. I just... I couldn't help myself." Her cheeks flushed a deep shade of crimson. "And you looked so irresistible sitting there." She murmured something under her breath, hoping I wouldn't catch it, but I caught every single word.

"Ah, so it's my fault then? I'll have to remember to be less irresistible in public."

Her cheeks flushed ever darker at my teasing, and she playfully swatted at my arm. "Stop it." She admonished, though there was a hint of laughter in her voice.

Unable to resist, I continued to tease her, reveling in her embarrassment. "But really, darling, we must maintain some decorum in public. Can't have you kissing me whenever the mood strikes you."

Her embarrassment seemed to reach its peak, and she cast me a mock glare. "As if you don't enjoy it."

We spent the next few minutes laughing, drawing curious glances from the others around us. Elle's laughter had a musical quality to it, like tiny silver bells ringing in distance. Her laughter was infectious, and being around her always made even the simplest moments feel extraordinary.

With our plates empty and our laughter subsided, we made our way out of the place into the evening. I offered Elle my arm and she looped hers through mine, leaning slightly against me as we walked towards my car.

ELLE

"We should totally comeback here. The ice cream was too good. I mean, seriously, I love ice cream! It's one of my guilty pleasures."