CHAPTER - 13

ELLE

"Where are you off to?" Liam asked me, blocking my way. I hesitated, my mind racing to find an answer that wouldn't out the real reason. "Just heading to the bookstore." I replied, avoiding any mentions of Cam. Guilt gnawed at me. It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the complete truth either.

I stepped out of my front door, the crisp air greeted me. The soft sunlight filtered through the leaves of an oak tree, casting dappled shadows on the pathway. I was meeting Cam at the bookstore to help him buy books for his cousin sister's birthday.

As I neared the entrance, my eyes landed on Cam, who stood patiently outside the bookstore. He wore a well-fitted grey T-shirt, accentuating his toned physique, paired with faded blue jeans that hugged his legs in all the right places. He looked incredibly handsome. I made my way towards him and greeted him with a warm "Hi." A smile graced his face in response. Soon after, the wooden door of the library swung open, inviting us to step inside. Together, we entered the library.

We made our way through the crowded aisles of the bookstore, searching through the shelves. "So, what kind of books does your cousin like?" I asked, glancing over Cam.

He let out a sigh, casually running his fingers through his hair. "She's a bookworm, but, I'm clueless about her preferred genre." I chuckled.

"So, you're here to purchase a book without any specific genre in mind? That's quite impressive."

He rolled his eyes. "Very funny. I'm sure you already have a stack of books to recommend, don't you?"

"Well, since you asked so nicely." I replied stepping towards the fiction aisle. I scanned it from top to bottom, plucking out one book after another. "How about this? A love triangle, and oh, how about this one? A love story set in the twentieth century. It's like stepping back in time to experience old school love."

Cam let out a dramatic groan. "Can we please find something that doesn't revolve around the overused concept of romance?"

"Ah, here it is!" I exclaimed. "My favorite favorite book. She'll definitely love this one." I gently pulled the book from where it was and eagerly handed it to him.

"You're not a fan of love stories. Right!" He chuckled. "Well, let's just say I'm more of an action kind of guy."

I rolled my eyes, action kind of guy huh? I grinned, holding up another book in my hand. "Got it! Here's a thrilling adventure where the protagonist saves the world from a rogue artificial intelligence. No romance in sight." Cam studied the book for a moment before breaking into laughter. "Alright, alright, you win. Let's go back to your romance section."

I nodded triumphantly.

My eyes were back at scanning the rows of the books, my fingers tracing titles of the books. Cam followed closely behind, his eyes were occasionally glancing towards me. I selected a few books, explaining the plot and praising the authors. I reached for another book and handed it over to him. He swiftly turned its pages, smirking as he read the title. "Another love story?"

"What's wrong with that?" I furrowed my brows. "Love stories are a beautiful escape from reality. And everyone secretly loves good romance. It's like comfort food for the soul."

Cam laughed, shaking his head. "Fine, maybe one, but let's not overdo it."

"You know it's not a crime for guys to enjoy love stories too." I crossed my arms, my voice tinged with annoyance.

His eyes widened. "Hey, I was just teasing."

"It seems as if you're undermining something I enjoy."

A heavy silence enveloped us, leaving us both speechless. Without thinking, I impulsively blurted out a question. "Do you have any idea how to ask a girl on a date?" Instantly, embarrassment flooded over me, realizing that I had unintentionally spoken aloud. Cam's eyebrows raised in surprise, and I quickly tried to retract my words. "Oh, never mind. Just forget I said anything."

But then, unexpectedly, Cam responded. "Then why don't we go on a date?"

My jaw dropped, and my mind struggled to process what had just transpired. The atmosphere in the bookstore turned eerily quiet, while my heart threatened to burst out of my chest. Did I hear him correctly? Did this gorgeous man standing in front of me actually asking me on a date?

I looked deep into his eyes. I always saw myself as the invisible wallflower blending into the background, unnoticed by the world around me. My heart pounded in my chest. It was a proposition that caught me off guard, leaving me speechless. But my mind immediately showed me an image of Liam, who stood there, his arms crossed and disapproval etched on his face. His warnings echoed in my mind. I felt caught in the middle, torn between my brother and Cameron.

"Liam wouldn't approve."

I managed to utter those words, my voice laced with regret. I couldn't even think about disappointing my brother.

"One chance. That's all I ask." He gently clasped his hands around mine. Quiet seconds passed between us. I looked into Cam's eyes, searching for a glimmer of understanding. He seemed sincere in his intention.

"I'll make you deal." Cam proposed. "If I win the upcoming basketball match, the first one of this season, you have to go on a date with me. If I lose, I'll leave you alone."

I was surprised by his proposal. I had never seen him play before but I've heard that he was a very talented player. But the first match of the season was always a big deal, and the teams would go hard on each other. "If you win?" I cautiously asked.

"If I win, you can't say no anymore. You have to give me a chance."

My heart raced as I considered his offer. Our eyes locked, I felt a mix of excitement and nervousness. I knew that this decision would come with consequences, and my relationship with my brother could be strained. But I couldn't deny what I feel for Cam. I was starting to feel something for him.

"Alright."

His face lit up, and he took a step closer to me, his eyes shining. "You won't regret it, belle."

"