CHAPTER - 20

CAMERON

The ball bouncing on the floor created a rhythmic sound that echoed in the empty gym. Occasionally, I heard the swish of the ball as I made a shot. It was Monday afternoon, just after college. It was the ideal spot for me to release my thoughts and emotions.

"Hey, Cameron! Mind if we join you?"

I was so absorbed in my own world of dribbling and shooting that I didn't even realize they had entered the gym until they were almost right next to me. I quickly turned around to greet them. It was Olivia and Grace, Elle's two very close friends. She had spoken so highly of them the other night.

"Not at all."

Grace jumped over and quickly grabbed the ball from my hands. "You're on!"

"So, Cameron, how'd you enjoy your date with Elle? She seemed to have a great time with you."

Grace's eyebrows furrowed, her face taking on a more serious look. My cheeks flushed and I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. "Yeah, we had a wonderful time. Elle is an amazing person, and we connected really well."

Grace's ears perked up as she stopped dribbling the ball, giving Olivia a knowing look. "Ah, connected well, huh? That's good to hear. So, what are your intentions with our friend."

My brows furrowed, caught off guard by the directness of the question. I stuttered for a moment. "Um, well, I... my intentions are genuine. I really like her, and I want to see where this goes."

Grace raised an eyebrow. "Ohhh, so you're really into her, huh? Any plans for the future."

"Well, it's a bit early to make long-term plans, but I can honestly say that Elle means a lot to me. I want to get to know her better, and if things continue to go well, who knows?"

Olivia interrupted me before I finished speaking. "Alright, I think that's enough grilling for now, Grace. Cameron, Elle is genuinely one of the wonderful people we know. We just wanted to make sure you understood that."

"I promise you both, I'll do everything in my power to make her happy. I could never break her heart."

"Well, you better not." Grace playfully pushed my shoulders.

I let out a small chuckle. "Believe me, I don't plan on letting her down."

"What the hell you guys? Are you both spying on me?" I watched as Elle, her face flushed with annoyance, stormed into the gym.

"Don't mess up, Cameron." Grace yelled. She took hold of Olivia's arm, and together they rushed out of the gym. Elle turned her attention to me, her eyes softening slightly.

"Cam, I'm sorry you had to witness that. It's embarrassing, and I understand if you're put off."

I shook my head. "I think it's actually kind of sweet. Besides, I'm not put off at all."

"Looks like Cam really is a good one. He's not scared off by our warnings." Grace snickered.

Elle's cheeks turned a shade of crimson, embarrassment crossing her features. "You guys are impossible! Just go away."

Olivia chuckled, her laughter echoing through the gym. "Have fun you two! We'll let you off the hook this time."

As their laughter faded away, I turned to Elle, her face still flushed. I couldn't help but find the whole situation funny.