You are mine now

Hi guys. I'm sorry it took so long, I had my exams which I failed badly. Anyways hope you guys are okay.
Enjoy
XX

———————————————

This morning started off weirdly good. Waking up in a surprisingly great mood made rolling out of bed and getting ready for the day a breeze. I settled for a white flowy dress today, as I wanted to look cute but still be comfortable as I didn't have any ideas of the plans for today.

As I sauntered downstairs, a familiar voice caught me off guard - turns out, my dad was back! For some reason, his return brought an unexpected excitement.

What was odd, though, is that he didn't give me the usual heads up. Typically, I get a text when he's about to make a grand entrance.

Curiosity led me closer to his voice until I saw him engaged in conversation with Sarah. Whatever he was explaining had her visibly fuming and frustrated. Her clenched jaw and tense posture gave it away.

Deciding not to interrupt, I sneaked into the room next door, leaning against the wall like a secret agent. Eavesdropping, you might say. Couldn't hear everything, but enough to piece it together.

"How could they mess this up?" Sarah's frustration echoed, punctuating the air as her fists banged against the table. "We need to anticipate an attack, reinforce that facility for the next month, and have Mateo investigate their business. Stay ahead, make him infiltrate," she directed.

"Yes, ma'am. I'll get on it now," my dad responded.

Why is he calling her ma'am? Not my problem. I don't care about their weird dynamic.

"Call them now, but before you leave, make sure to see your daughter."

"Of course, ma'am."

Great, so he wouldn't even have said hi if she didn't ask. Am I supposed to be grateful she's here? Because I'm feeling everything but that.

Dad's off to the office – probably to make those calls.

———

I peeked at Sarah in the kitchen, leaning on the table with her hands, head down.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what I was feeling, but seeing her like that made me want to erase all her frustration. Suddenly, I'd do anything to make her feel better.

I stood up, checked the time, and strolled toward her, making it seem like I just arrived.

"Hey Sarah, are you okay?" I asked gently. She tilted her head, locking her eyes with mine. A smile appeared, reassuring me.

"Hey Iris, I'm so happy to see you. I'm okay, don't worry. Ready for our day?" I knew she wasn't entirely honest, and for some weird reason, I wanted her to trust me, to share with me.

"Yeah, I'm ready. Are you sure you are okay?" My face still showed concern.

"Yes, why? Don't I seem okay to you?" she asked, arching her brow.

"Sure," I hesitantly replied. Awkward silence. We were both searching for answers.

"Let's have breakfast before we leave," she said, breaking the silence.

She started cooking eggs and bacon. "Iris darling, set the table?" Her gentle tone made me blush.

"Oh, and set it for 3, please. Someone else is joining us."

"Who?" I knew she meant Dad, but I wasn't supposed to know.

"You will see, be patient." I could feel her smirk, even though she was turned around, her back facing me.