Loss

We heard a loud noise coming from outside, shattering the sweet moment we were sharing.

"Wait here," Sarah said urgently, jumping up from the couch and rushing to the window to investigate.

She returned to me with a worried expression, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards a door I hadn't noticed before, concealed behind a large painting. With practiced ease, she entered a code and pressed her hand against a small digital box, causing the door to swing open.

We quickly stepped into this big room. Sarah's grip tightened on my hand as she spoke, her voice urgent yet steady.

"Listen carefully, Iris. You need to stay in here. I'll close the door, and it will lock. You'll be safe." Her eyes bore into mine, conveying a seriousness that sent a shiver down my spine.

Confusion and fear swirled inside me as I struggled to comprehend what was happening. "Are you leaving me here alone? What's going on?" I demanded, my voice tinged with panic.

"Just trust me, okay? I'll be back soon. DO NOT push this button no matter what," she instructed firmly, her touch offering a fleeting comfort before she released my hand.

As she turned to leave, I felt a surge of desperation, as if I were losing her. Despite her attempt to smile, the uncertainty in her eyes mirrored my own fears. With a final glance, she closed the door behind her, leaving me standing in the silent room frozen.

Hours dragged on, each minute feeling like an eternity as I remained confined to that room. Impatience gnawed at me, fueling my growing anxiety. Where was Sarah? Was she alright?

Restlessly, I lay on the king-sized bed that occupied one corner of the room, staring up at the ceiling, my mind racing with unanswered questions.

Unable to bear the stillness any longer, I rose from the bed and began to explore the room. My eyes fell upon a library, and I grabbed a book, desperate for any distraction to occupy my racing thoughts.

As time dragged on, my nerves began to fray. Every sound outside the door sent my heart pounding, my imagination conjuring up terrifying scenarios. I cowered behind the bed, my breath catching in my throat as the door creaked open.

Relief flooded through me as I heard Sarah's familiar voice, her soft tones instantly calming my frayed nerves. Emerging from my hiding spot, I rushed into her arms, clinging to her as if afraid she might disappear again.

Questions tumbled from my lips, but Sarah's reassuring embrace silenced my fears. "Don't worry about it," she murmured, her lips brushing against my cheek in a gentle kiss. "All you need to know is that everything is okay now, and I'm here by your side."

In her embrace, I felt a sense of safety and reassurance, the tension of the past hours melting away.

She broke our hug and took my hand firmly, leading me out of the room and through the house. As we walked downstairs, I noticed shattered glass scattered across the floor, evidence of the chaos that had unfolded.

However, when we reached my room, everything appeared undisturbed except for a suitcase resting next to my closet.

"Pack everything you might need for the night. We're moving out," Sarah instructed, her tone urgent. "The rest we can either buy or pick up another day. Be quick."

I didn't hesitate, understanding the gravity of the situation. I swiftly gathered my essentials, sensing Sarah's watchful gaze as I worked. Once I finished packing, she grabbed the suitcase and my hand, leading me downstairs to the garage where a car awaited.

Sarah opened the car door for me, and I climbed inside as she stowed the luggage in the trunk. As soon as she joined me in the car, we were off, the vehicle gliding smoothly through the streets.