CHAPTER 10: The Queen's Generosity

•Stell and Mary•

STELL'S POV

Mary was in my arms as I raced as fast as my legs would allow. She is bleeding so much. She still wants me to take her to the nearest body of water, which seems odd, so I'm not sure why she wants me to do that. She shouldn't bleed more, right? I shake the ideas in my mind. I can now clearly see the beach up ahead.

I carefully lower Mary into the salty water after immersing my feet in it for a few minutes. My eyes are nearly blinded when I suddenly notice that her entire body glows, yet I can't close them.

What I see defies belief. Her physique changed slowly. I first noticed scales on her skin and face. Then, when I see a tail with pastel pink and purple tones, I'm astounded.

A Mermaid.

Mary first tried to avoid me. She now has pink and blue streaks in her long brown hair. I can only see her torso and upper body. When I finally tried to speak, I realized my mouth had been open the entire time.

Mary, I'm at a loss for words.
She hesitated before asking, "Stell, I'm sorry you have to carry me all the way here. Are you now afraid of me?"

I smiled to reassure her, "What? No. I'm not afraid. I'm amazed. You look beautiful." I caught her blushing just a little.

Suddenly, I remember why we're here.
"Mary, since you're a mermaid, can we ask the Queen to lend her ring to us?" I asked.

"I haven't seen the Queen for a long time. I don't know if she will easily give up her ring, but I'll try."

"Then we should go now. I can see the lagoon from here. I'll meet you there." I told her, and Mary nodded.

I walked for a few minutes. I knew Mary would be here before me, so I hid behind the rock to listen as she talked with Queen.

"Merilia!" The Queen's voice echo throughout the lagoon.

The Queen is visibly upset with Mary-Merilia: "You were gone for a long time without warning, and now you come back here as if nothing happened?"

Mary simply maintained her modesty throughout. She didn't turn to face the Queen or even lift her head. She stayed submissive in her presence.

"I'm sorry. I was needed by my friends. I want to save humans, and I think that's what I want to do with my life."

"Again with these humans! You're going to end up hurt if you keep meddling with their business, Merilia!" That's when I think I have to step in. I showed myself to the mermaids and the Queen by raising both of my hands in a surrender gesture.

"Who are you, and to whom do I owe this pleasure? "The Queen asked.

"My name is Stell, Your Majesty. I am a friend of Mary. I mean Merilia," I explained. I kneeled in front of her.

"A human friend. So, what is the reason why you're here, Stell?" The Queen inquired.

"Mary and I have a mission, my Queen. We need a ring from you as a piece of a puzzle of a ritual to go out of this world, and we only have a few more hours to waste," I explained.

"You mean this Blue topaz ring?" She asked while she's admiring the gem.

"Yes, your Majesty. That's what we need." Mary answered for me.

The Queen turned her attention to her ring and between Mary and I. The other mermaids in our surroundings are just watching. They are awaiting the Queen's response.

"I will give it to you with no strings attached in one condition." The Queen finally said. I nodded waiting for the request.

Then she grinned and said, "Sing for me Stell." I started singing after clearing my throat.

Unti-unting lunurin ang aking nadarama
O buhos ng ulan 'wag nang tumila pa
Paano nga ba mapapawi labis na pagdurusa
Kung wala nang pag-asa turuan mo naman akong limutin ka ah

As I finished the song, I opened my eyes. The mermaids are smiling at me, especially the Queen. I can tell by the look on her face that she's impressed. The Queen swam close to me and gave me her ring.

"Thank you so much." I said.

"No, thank you for your heavenly voice, Stell, and for bringing back Merilia to us." She then looked back to Mary. "Please take care of yourself and come back home after this mission."

"I will, Mom." I heard Mary say.

---To Be Continued---