Chapter XII: A Sacrifice that was in Vain

DAY XLIII (11:57 PM):

??? is waiting outside in the forest, waiting for someone. ???? arrived, with Emu following closer behind.

Right, Miku told everyone to go in pairs after Honami's death. Make sense.

"You took your time there, ????"

"Sorry ???. What do you want me to do with Emu?"

"Tie her up." ??? instructed ????, pointing at a wooden pole nearby.

"W-what?"

"I said, tie her up."

???? nodded, grabbed Emu by the wrist. Emu tries to get rid of ????'s hand, but the hand won't let go. ??? watched from behind, following ????'s every movement. ???? tied Emu up on the pole, she struggled to get the rope off.

"I'm sorry, Emu." ???? whispered in Emu's ear.

"Why ...?" Emu tears up.

??? and ???? left, leaving Emu alone in the forest.

..--.. ..--.. ..--.. ..--.. / .. ... / .- .. .-. .. / -... -.-- / - .... . / .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-

______________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

DAY XLIV:

'I want you all to meet up where the wooden pole is.'

What is this? Why did Emu send this?

Tsukasa looks at the message, trying to decide whether it's a good idea to go.

He went anyway.

When he got to the base of the forest, he saw everyone gathered around.

"Ah, you're here, Tsukasa." Miku replied to Tsukasa when he gave them a small wave. "Shall we all go?"

Everyone nodded. Then they all went inside.

______________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

Sob. sob.

"I hear a sobbing somewhere..." Airi said, walking along the path. Everyone follows the noise of crying, to see Emu tied up by the pole. Emu looks up and sees everyone, she lets out a small smile, thinking she will be saved.

"..." ??? is hiding between the trees, holding a matchstick. They threw it where Emu is tied up. They also threw another one in the trees, starting a wildfire. Everyone ran away from the place, leaving Emu still tied to the pole. She smiles as she remembers everything she did with her friends and teammates, before she burnt to death.

______________________ ׂׂૢ་༘࿐

Everyone caught their breath after they all ran out of the forest, the wildfire started out of nowhere. Tsukasa fell to the ground, crying he couldn't go save Emu. Saki kneels near him and hugs her brother tightly.

All this is my fault.

Miku told everyone to go back to the hideout and take a rest. Many went but Tsukasa didn't.

"Are you going back?" Miku asked Tsukasa, a few steps away from him.

"... You can go, I'm going to stay there for a while."

"... Alright, Tsukasa. If that's what you want." Miku replied before walking away back to the hideout. Tsukasa stood up and walked in the forest again. When he got to the pole where Emu was tied up, her body was all burnt. Tsukasa tears up when he sees her body, knowing it all too late. He notices a bow that Emu always wears around her neck on the ground. He picked it up and held it close.

"I'm sorry, Emu."

DAY XLVI:

Tsukasa has avoided interacting with everyone, only Nene. He normally stayed in his room or the storeroom. He didn't talk to Saki anymore. The food that was outside his door has been left untouched.

I'm hoping Tsukasa gets better and comes out of his room. Saki is worried about him.

-Miku