12

*TRIGGER WARNING*

*TRIGGER WARNING*

(MENTIONS OF RACISM, ABUSE, FAMILY ISSUES ETC.)

I COULD NOT sleep at all after what happened. Levi and I had got back at almost midnight so I found Fern fast asleep in her room at that point. It sounds insane but I could not stop thinking about the kiss. I kept touching my lips, trying to believe that it was real.

It's crazy how quickly things have developed for us. If I hadn't fainted on top of Levi at Cyrine's wedding afterparty, I probably wouldn't have been saved by him. And then we probably wouldn't have spoken or ever met up. It has only been just over two months and I still struggle to process the strange encounters we've had with each other. Yet the stranger things get between us, the more I start to believe that it's fate.

It's meant to be.

To be quite honest, it's still very early days and we aren't properly "together" yet. But my mind refuses to register that. The fact that he's constantly flirting with me and being extra nice warms my heart. It's something I can never get over. The way he acts comfortable around me, his smile, his silly humour. And now, my first kiss with him.

I love him to bits.

They say you shouldn't allow yourself to fall for someone that easily simply through their actions and behaviours because you never know when they might turn on you.  But with Levi it feels different. It's like he's some prince coming right out of a fairytale.

The feeling of love is strange to me. I remember experiencing it for the first time back in secondary school when I fancied this guy in my year. Aaron. He was good-looking, friendly, cheerful and athletic. One of the more popular, considerably smart boys of our year.

Or at least, that's what he seemed to be like.

I was at someone's birthday party and we met there. That's when I was shocked because he asked me out. I found it both surprising and unbelievable that a guy this popular whom every girl was after, wanted me to be with him. Innocently, I agreed.

We ended up seeing each other for a solid month and a half before he tried to make advances. Initially, I refused. When he found out I had never been in an intimate relationship before, he was disgusted. The straight-forward and honest truth that I had given him was exactly what revealed his true colours to me. He jeered and mocked me, as though it was something shameful. I immediately ended things with him and hurried back home not wanting to think about it anymore.

The following weeks in school were a struggle hereafter - from more bullying, to other mean and spiteful things. If it wasn't for my parents deciding to move to South East London, away from the madness in Croydon, I would have probably been beaten up by him and his gang of friends. When I look back on those days, I sometimes question whether myself and my family had nine lives or if it was simply a matter of luck that we had managed to survive the years living there.