4

Far away from the trouble in the woods, on a busy highway August and Alex were cruising down the busy blacktop, putting as much distance between themselves and where they started. They already knew they were not going to quite be able to keep to their original loose plan and time line. They had lingered too long with their family, and were late getting started.

They didn't mind, they had no concrete plans, they were doing what they always did on these trips. They both felt like something was calling to them. On their first trip out. They had thought the other was just in a great mood, enjoying their first taste of freedom away from their family. That was why every time one of them suggested they take an exit, the other had readily agreed.

Alex and August had just been so glad to have a taste of freedom back then. No sisters, No Cassian, no parents, no nosy pack gossips watching their every move. It had been freedom like they had always been dreaming of their entire lives. Both so full of their own joy and wanderlust it had been easy to just live in the moment.

All good things need to come to an end. They had fought after three weeks on the road together on their inaugural trip. Really, they had lasted longer without fighting than expected. It had been such a stupid fight. August had been flirting with a local girl at the pub they were eating at in a town neither brother could remember the name of in present day. Alex had struck out, and the beauty was all for August. The small town sweetheart was not of a mind to try a threesome. The only other women present, were older than papa Holland, and not in the nearly immortal dragon or fae kind of way.

Alex had wanted to leave and just head back to the hotel, without the girl. If they both couldn't have a good time, Alex didn't want to wait around alone for his brother to get laid while stuck in a town that closed at sunset. August was pissed his brother would block him like this. They had never once stood in each other's way. Though the options for a one night stand at the pack were substantially more diverse than this town, thanks to the resort mom had opened on the land soon after mating Dad.

Alex was tired and cranky, he had underestimated the effort it took to live on the road and how much he enjoyed comfortable living. August was just as worn out. Neither man was at their best that night. It had been ugly. They had never once before in their lives ever fought like they did at that bar, first it had been just shouting. But that was enough to get only strangers in the town kicked out of the only business still open. The girl was horrified by their aberrant behaviour and fled back into the mix of locals.

The twin alphas had managed to hold themselves in control of themselves until they walked far enough away from any houses or business. Into the woods. Undressed silently with tension and repressed rage thick in the air and shifted. August's wolf was entirely white like his fathers, just as Alex's had the same inky black coat as Holland. It wasn't sparing, it wasn't training, they were both angry, tired, and frustrated in ways they could not articulate.

Their wolves were not long in shifting them back to humans. This fight was human business and they were not interested. These pups needed to learn pack. Alex had been the first to throw a punch in human form, catching August completely off guard. "You selfish asshole!" Alex had yelled at his brother. Flicking his long chestnut hair over his shoulder.

August held his jaw in his hand, "What are you talking about!" His jaw wasn't working correctly, garbling his speech, "You're the asshole! Asshole!" Spitting pink tinged saliva to the ground. His mouth tasting of blood.

Alex moved like he was going to hit August again. August reacted much faster this time and instead landed a solid uppercut directly into Alex's diaphragm, knocking all of the air out of his lungs in one forceful rush. A weaker or less angry man might have gone down in a heap. Alex instead flung his hand up in a wild hail Mary attack, managing to grab a tangle of August's shaggy strawberry blonde hair in his fist.