43

Ariel had no idea how long she had been watching the wolves. First they had sat and looked at her, then it was almost like they were showing off for her. Running, jumping, tumbling through their exhibit. The crowd of people watching them applauding as they did jumps and flips off the enrichment items in the pen.

They both play fought, showing off their skill without harming each other. Midnight and white wolf engaged in a dance of wit and Ariel felt like it was all for her benefit. They did not approach the border of their enclosure to be closer to her. They did not ever fight in a way that would harm the other. They were careful, and controlled, and not wild beasts.

Binh leaned down, quietly speaking in her ear. "You need to eat Ariel." Ariel dug her phone out of her pocket with her one good arm and was sincerely shocked at how long her and Binh had stayed here. She nodded. Looking back towards the wolves as Binh wheeled her through the last bit of the zoo. Turned out that Ariel's zoo enjoyment was focused on animals that had fur, hair, or feathers. Scales, insects, arachnids, and other creepies did not bring her any joy.

She did laugh a little when Three Hours Past Midnight had described her least favourite creatures as dinner. She was resting her chin on her hand, elbow on the armrest of the wheelchair as Binh wheeled her to the parking lot and his car.

Planning to take her to a new restaurant for a meal. She had gotten dressed, gone out. She deserved an extra special treat for all her effort so soon after the accident. She had faced her fears, watched her mates for close to two hours before Binh had decided she needed a break.

Today had gone well, perhaps she might actually reply to their never ending messages. Stop the deluge of emails they sent his way every single day. Once inside the car, Ariel and Binh had a slight drive to return to the bright dining area of town. Ariel, opened and closed her mouth a few times until she finally spoke. "You know what I have nightmares about." Ariel stated. Binh nodded. "The Hyena, they called us mates, that wasn't real was it?" Ariel asked the only person she could.

Binh again nodded. "Nothing of how hyena behave is in line with any other species' understanding of how a mate should be treated. Wolves trust their goddess to provide a soul mate, a dragon means to covet and cherish in all ways, Fae who bond desire to share all that they are with each other. Hyena only wish to breed." Ariel was quiet for the rest of the drive to the restaurant. Considering the new information she had.

Binh ordered an astounding twelve spice shrimp dish, Ariel picked a safer ginger beef option at the restaurant that offered fresh stir fried meals in cute chinese take out style boxes. She did also ask for extra beansprouts and green onions for her garnish. She liked their crunch and fresh taste.

Binh and Ariel enjoyed their meal at the fast casual restaurant. Ariel was even less talkative than normal through the meal. He did not push her. A lot had happened today, Binh would never rush her. He had known she would react to her mates when they were nearby. She was unable to run, and fate would not be denied. All fated parties needed an unavoidable, inescapable meeting. Binh had just arranged all the pieces required to meet the need safely.

Well fed, and tired, Binh took Ariel home. While he wheeled her up to the penthouse, he smiled as he watched her pull out her phone, and send a "hi" to each of the twins one after the other. Before clicking the side button to turn off the phone screen. The zoo was already closed and Binh continued to smile when he heard several buzzes emanate from the phone, as Ariel blushed from the tips of her ears down to her chest.

Binh glanced over her shoulder as she looked at the torrent of messages. August telling her how sorry he was, how he wanted a chance to see her again when they could speak to each other, Alex telling her how amazing it had been to see her during their shared punishment, ideas for how they could enjoy another date.

Together as an average they were mostly managing to walk the tightrope of a path that fate had set for them. "I don't know what to say to them." Ariel said quietly, possibly to herself in the elevator.

"Attempting to communicate on tiny screens is a challenge." Binh sympathized with her conundrum. Without offering a solution. Ariel needed to call the shots. It all had to be her idea. The elevator dinged as they reached the penthouse. "Living room or your room?" Binh offered to Ariel. It had been a long day, her first time truly out since the accident. An early rest would not hurt.

"Living room?" Ariel said like a question. Poor thing still so scared every time she was brave enough to ask for what she wanted.

Binh smiled, knowing what she wanted before she did. She had found a show she liked on streaming, "You want the Canadian teenager show?" Binh asked her, smiling when she nodded. Apparently the kids of Degrassi were helping Ariel figure out how teenagers and young adults acted. As far as human media went in Binh's opinion it was quite tolerable.

Binh wheeled Ariel to the living room, helping her switch from the wheelchair to the plush couch. Handing her a blanket, ensuring she was comfortable as the first lines of the theme song started to play.

Wake up in the morning, feeling shy and lonely, Gee, I gotta go to school. I don't think I can make it, don't think I can take it, I wonder what I'm gonna do. . .

Once she was settled, Binh rose, telling Ariel "I will get you a tea." She nodded, looking at the messages on her phone once again. Fingers never once moving to make a reply after her single two letter outreach to both of them. Giving her some privacy and time alone. If she wanted anything, she only needed to ask and Binh would move Earth, and dreams, and heavens to make it so for her.

Binh returned with a lemon ginger tea, a glass of water, and a pain pill to help her sleep easily tonight. Ariel took the pill, and cradled the mug with both hands, blowing over and sipping at the hot tea with her eyes transfixed on the screen. Binh went and sat on a nearby chair. Reveling in memories of the 1980's, style, fashion, everything. It was sublime.

Ariel watched the entire episode in silence. Once the credits on the first episode rolled, Ariel set down her now empty mug and looked at Binh. "I think." She started to say, getting scared and stopping. The next episode started to play. The same upbeat music. "I think I want to talk to the twins, in person." Binh understood, compacting communication to such tiny screens and only words was not full communication. "Would you come with me? To try and talk to them?" She asked Binh. Looking so anxious and unsure.

Three Hours Past Midnight was preening through her hair, snuggling into his witch as much as a bird could. They could communicate all the time, after being physically separated for five days while she had been hospitalized, Ariel had returned to Binh's apartment and immediately accepted her familiar and magic. Her book almost always in her hands when she had a free moment. She needed to get outside and practice her skills, test herself.

Binh smiled, a practised soft smile, "Wherever you wish me to be, I will be there Ariel." Binh promised her, and he meant it. Saying her name. She needed to find the strong witch burning inside her sooner rather than later, she had been held back long past when any witch of her strength would have manifested.

Ariel nodded. Strengthened at the sound of her name. She was Ariel, she was safe, with someone who was already taking care of her, only asking a payment form she was more than happy to part with. "I don't want it here or at the diner, but-" Ariel lifted her broken arm, looked at the leg. "I think a few children were scared of me at the zoo today." She lied. She didn't think, she knew.

Binh nodded. Feeling uncomfortable with Ariel's accurate assessment of her time in public. It was mid week, not a busy day at the zoo, but still very public and exposed for Ariel in her current condition. "Seeing someone injured can serve as a reminder of mortality." Binh answered. 

He had pushed her today to go out. Given the twins a gift, of letting Ariel see them, safely from a distance. Knowing what they claimed to be to her, and they could not give chase or act. Binh did something he never thought he would, he lied to himself that he was being generous.

Binh had also wanted to take a few pictures of werewolves in captivity. A delightful joke he very much wanted to witness in person. Document the moment. Spend a century painting it into a masterpiece.

Binh cleared his head of his new artistic desires. "We need to test your magic, and I could use extra eyes acting as guards." he explained to her, her eyes wide at the suggestion of expanding her magic practice. She was more than eager for a chance to test her limits. Her magic wasn't limited by her broken bones. She could feel it, waiting for her.