13|Impenetrable

"24 Seconds, Yeah, You Better Not Stop" - Ella Mai

Chapter Theme Song : Ella Mai ( Shot Clock )

Impenetrable - Meaning : impossible to pass through or enter.

••

Wondering why I intervened? Among the many reasons I could think of, the one which stood out was - I know what Jared is capable of. He's not entirely well; within the past eight years, I've been trying to wrap my head around his tantrums and breakdowns. Has he always been that way? I beg to differ, he had all the love, care and support growing up. My Auntie, his mother and father dotted on him constantly before and after his younger sister was born.

Things took a sharp 360°, he became more and more overwhelmed with his sister, he couldn't stand his mother giving more attention to her. That's when we'd to come in, my father had to bring him into our home. At first, things weren't smooth. We didn't give up though, we got him to visit the psychologist regularly - it went well. Or at least for a bit, I was his favorite cousin which made me take him under my shield.

How did it go from favorite to most despised? Well it had a name, Marisa Sandoval. I'd thought all he felt for her was only a little crush at that age, he was ten. Marisa and I were eight years older, and I only saw her as a good friend nothing else. Not Jared, he'd repeatedly tell me how he couldn't wait to ask her out and a whole lot of inappropriate stuff not meant for a boy at his age then.

I tried to make him see reasons why it wasn't possible. Which wasn't received well, he got mad and walked out on me refusing to speak to me. Then a week later he came into my room to have a 'conversation'. But guess what happened instead? My little cousin of ten tried to stab me with a scissors, had I not been smart enough, he'd have succeeded. Since then, he's been on medication and appointments with his therapist. Is he still taking them and making his appointments? Guess we'll find out when I call his mother.

I don't want to scare her with all these, even though I feel the need to protect her from the danger called Jared. Despite his flaws, he knew how to be there for his loved ones - quiet pathetically he merely tolerated me. Still blames for Marisa's rejection. And it's okay, I wasn't going to have issues with an eighteen soon to be nineteen year old over a woman.

"Be Careful from now onwards, you may not be lucky the next time" I know she was confused by the look she's giving me.

"I...I don't understand sir. What do you mean?"

"Jared is a little sick, he acts irrational at times. Try not to get into an argument with him or best, avoid being alone altogether"

"Ummm....okay. Thanks for everything today"I saw her get out and walk to the door. I waited for her to disappear into the house before driving off.