Oprah Interview: Taraji

Arriving at the studio for today's interview, I feel nothing but my nerves gathering in my stomach. I'm led to my dressing room and make my first stop the bathroom. Staring in the mirror before I move to relieve myself, I look at my fresh morning face. I reach my hand for my cheek, gently placing it.

You are ready for today, Taraji. This interview will go smoothly, and you have nothing to worry about.

I desperately needed this moment for the day and the interview. I go to the sink after closing the toilet seat and wash my hands. Opening the door, I'm greeted by a bouquet on the vanity. I pick up the card in the bouquet and read the note.

To my love,

Thank you for doing this film with me.

Thank you for being what I needed you to be.

Thank you for changing my life unexpectedly.

I wish you the best today.

Love, Tasia

Reading the note with the biggest smile, I place the card close to my chest. I hear a knock at the door and invite them in. The room is now full of the team that will get me ready for the interview; I take a seat on the tall director's chair.

I checked my phone as they set up a table to lay the makeup products out. A notification from Marcell pops up at the top of my screen. I open the text.

Marcell : Hey, Mom, I know my reaction the other day was a lot. I have something I need to tell you. I'll come by the house this weekend.

Before I could respond, the makeup artist walked over to place an eye mask under my eyes. The makeup process started, and I asked the team to play music. The music creates a serene ambiance in the space.

After a while, we complete the makeup process. The hairstylist begins to work on my hair, and I remembered my son's earlier message.

Taraji : Hey baby, I'll be there waiting for you. See you soon.

I place my phone in my lap and sit back. The hairstyle for the interview was grown and sexy but straightforward. I shake the bob, playing with the ends as I look in the vanity mirror. I hear the door open, but I don't pay it any mind. I grab a tissue from the box, wiping the corners of my eyes.

I hear I Want You Around x Snoh Aalegra playing in the background. I close my eyes and move my hips to the lyrics. Listening to the words, I think about Tasia; I blush as if she were standing with me in this room. I feel a pair of hands wrap around my waist, joining my sway. I keep my eyes closed, placing my hand on theirs, recognizing who has joined me. Her chin resting on my shoulder, I put my hand on her face, holding her cheek. I hear her humming the tune, and I join in.

Come through, I think I need you here

(But) I swear it's hard to keep these feelings to myself

Now you're the one I'm thinking of

My higher ground, my rocket love

Fuck gravity, I'd rather stay up here, but...

I flutter my eyelashes, looking at her through the mirror. Thank you for being here with me. I blow her a kiss through the mirror.

We stand still focusing on each other. My hand continues to caress her face as the song continues to play. I want you around...I want you around...I sing the lyrics to her as we hold eye contact in the mirror.

I turn around and see that we are standing in an empty room. Did you clear this room? She nods her head. I place my arms on her shoulders and lay on her chest. Thank you for the flowers; they are beautiful. Her arms hug my waist—anything for a lovely lady.