c1-10

chapter1

Winter 1990

The cold wind blew all night, and it stopped at dawn, and there was another heavy snowfall.

Then from the roof to the yard, there was a thick layer of white, and the sound of children having fun came from outside the house.

Fan Xiaojuan leaned on the wall and looked around quietly.

The calendar on the wall has a big number written on it - 1990.

She felt like she was dreaming, going back to the years before she went abroad. It snowed heavily that year, and icicles hung one by one outside the house. In the morning, my daughter got up to light a fire, but the briquette stove would not work. She cried and fanned outside. When she walked over and saw black smoke coming from the stove, she was really fed up with this place and wanted to go abroad. Her husband tried to persuade her no matter what. Can't live.

I opened the window and saw a small yard. There was a pomegranate tree planted in the middle of the yard. This season, there were only a few bare branches left. But in October, pomegranate fruits climbed all over the tree, like a small lantern on the tree. My daughter Like a little monkey, he carries a small frame on his back and climbs up the tree to pick fruits. This family will give one as a gift, and that family will give one as a gift. The biggest one is left to his mother, and the rest of the basket of pomegranates belongs to her.

Until decades later, my daughter still said that pomegranates from abroad are not as sweet as the fruits picked from the trees in her hometown.

She thought to herself that the fruits sold outside had been transported over long distances and were all ripe. Would they be delicious?

The moon abroad is not round, and the fruits are not sweet.

Han Xingchen wanted to return to China.

My daughter didn't say anything, but she still thought about returning to China. She was not used to eating here and had gastrointestinal problems all the time. Foreigners also drank ice water, which caused gastrointestinal problems ever since she came here.

My wife has worked hard all her life and is suffering from geriatric diseases. She is complaining that Western medicine is not good for her and she is not as good as Chinese acupuncture and physiotherapy.

The Chinese restaurant relied on my husband as the chef. He was in poor health and his back hurt after standing for a long time, so he decided to end the business. The whole family agreed to return to China. After working hard for more than 20 years, they finally calculated the savings over the years. A total of one million dollars.

One million U.S. dollars, Fan Xiaojuan felt, was a lot. She felt that she could finally feel proud.

With this money, the whole family can live a good life.

When she arrived in Beijing, she discovered that the country had developed rapidly, and the city was full of high-rise buildings. She couldn't tell the difference between east, west, and northwest when taking a taxi on Beijing's Ring Expressway.

After asking an agent, I found out that for one million U.S. dollars, in a place like Beijing where land is at a premium, if you want to buy a three-bedroom apartment, you have to go south to the Fifth Ring Road.

This is not the end.

Sorry, do you have a Beijing household registration? If not, you need to pay social security for five years or pay taxes for five years, otherwise you are not even qualified to purchase.

Fan Xiaojuan wanted to vomit blood at that time.

Back then, her family occupied a row of main houses in a courtyard house in Beijing. It was located next to the Yonghe Temple in the North Second Ring Road. She took her husband and daughter to visit there. The surrounding area was renovated, but the alleys remained. There are several, and the place where they lived has been well preserved.