Chapter 11: Maybe You're the Problem

I've been avoiding everyone lately, especially Jake. Ever since I walked in on his conversation with Matt. I know Jake just wanted to help me out and I understand why but, he should've stayed out of everything. It's already a mess and I don't need it any worse. By trying to make everything better, I feel he made it worse. Matt will definitely hate me more now. I haven't even heard from Nick which is weird. Nick always calls, texts, or hangs with me at least once a day. I haven't heard from him in 4 days. I started to worry but I just assumed he was trying to give me space which I appreciate, but more than anything I needed him. I'm currently in the kitchen. It's 6:30 and I'm craving fruity pebbles. As I put the milk back in the fridge, I hear footsteps. My dads at work so I know its Jake. "Can I have some" he asks me as I roll my eyes getting the milk back out of the fridge. "Sure" I say as I pour the cereal in a bowl and tossing it to him alongside a spoon. I pull the barstool out as he comes to sit next to me. "So how are you doing" "I'm fine" I say as I take a bite just for Jake to give me a weird look. "Mhm" I hear Jake let out while he takes a bite of his cereal. I couldn't believe how he was acting. Did he really believe I would be asleep? He knows ill over think till I die, and I would never sleep, especially over something like that. I sat there giving him my resting face while he continues to eat not paying me much attention. I try so hard not to bring it up, but I can't help it. I don't need him fighting my battles. I just finally admitted to myself that I was ready to come to grips that I liked Matt, but Jake just had to get in the way.  "So how was your call with Matt" I say with dead eyes as he looks slowly in my direction. I continue to eat as he lets his spoon fall against the bowl making a huge noise through the kitchen. "What phone call?" I look at him with an irritated look. "I'm not stupid. You talked to Matt Friday night. On the Phone" I say as I get up and put my now empty bowl in the sink as Jakes eyes follow me. He looks down at his bowl in defeat as he knew he was just caught. " I thought you were asleep" he said as he adjusted on the barstool. "You apparently don't know me. How could I have possibly slept that night?" I say as I pull myself onto the counter. "Listen you have to understand y/n; why I did it, was for you. I know that you had a hard time with it, and I couldn't bare seeing you going through it; so, I did what any other brother would do and fixed it" he said as he got up putting his bowl in the sink. I looked at him before jumping off the counter. I now stood in front of him. "That was not your decision to make Jake. You had no right to tell Matt not to talk to me." He looks at me dead in the eyes. " Yea I did! He's my best friend, they all are and then you came along and ruined everything because you couldn't keep your stupid little teenage feelings under check! Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe you're the problem?" I stood there taking everything Jake just said in. After everything and this is what it came down too. I guess I am the problem. Chris and Matt never seemed to make issues out of everything. I always made everything a big deal. I'm officially the worst sister and friend to ever exist. I stand there as I finally let the tears fall. I wanted so badly to call the triplets, but it knows all makes sense. Everything would be better if I just stayed out of everything. I stormed out of the kitchen as I ran towards my room, I heard Jake yelling my name. I didn't think to turn around, all I did was cry towards my room. I closed my door to collapse onto my bed. I then hear my phone buzz as I pull my head off my bed, I roll over trying to get my phone out from under me. I the get a view of the notification. Matt was calling me. I didn't think twice to answer. As I hit answer, I immediately heard his voice. A voice I missed hearing. "Hey, we need to talk."