Chapter: Void

========•========

A cool breeze is enough to calm the nerves of even the most agonizing of souls.

The life of a party was slowly dying out as a lone man walks out to the balcony with an envelope and bottle in hand. He wanted this calmness of the wind, desperately.

He did nothing more but stare at the letter in hand, leaning over the railing

He did nothing more but stare at the letter in hand, leaning over the railing. The face of the envelope spoke of congratulations but the man could not reciprocate the celebration it was meant to portray.

Many of the guests were already taking their leave and the lights inside the house began to dim as the maids went around and cleared everything up for the owner. Yet he stood out there as if the means of this party was a burden upon him.

Was he not worthy of this reward? Was it too much for him? He will probably never try to find out, all he knows is that it is a fate, a responsibility that's he's expected to uplift. Expectations are the worst of growth, a haunting curse that force you down a path you never wanted.

A letter for congratulating him for his promotion, or better yet taking up owner ship of a corrupt company. A duty laid before him by his late father who had mysteriously passed.

The owner of the envelope sighed and wolfed down whatever was left in the bottle.

What a sad beginning to a story....

The door to the balcony opened as the white light of the interior shone on the mans back.

"Aaghh...When I told you to keep the guests away from me it also meant that you should leave me al--"

When he turned around to nag, a quiet zip was heard and a bullet made it's way right through the gap between his eyes.

The caliber and the wind of the outside being strong enough to cause the limping man to lean back and swing off the balcony.

....It's a shame I had to end it before it truly began.

--------

The police always take their sweet time to reach the crime scene. They arrive and locate the body while another team raids the owner's house. The maids were the ones to make the call but they never saw the culprit.

Well, they actually did.

I guess I'm just good with my words.

"You sure you're not too relaxed? You're still near the area and the cops are still on the search." The voice on my earpiece worries.

"Don't go questioning how I do my job. The one thing the police will be looking for is run aways. I'm just going to grab a coffee."