⌦27

"they left me." beomgyu said, his voice almost as quiet as that of a whisper.

haeri's eyes softened as she watched the boy lower his gaze to their intertwined hands, knowing that he was trying to avoid looking at her. "that's terrible, beomgyu..." she muttered, giving his hands a light squeeze, hoping to be of some sort of comfort.

with a slight nod of his head, the boy hummed in agreement. "yeah, it sucks... truthfully, i'm not sure if i regret eavesdropping on their argument or not. was it better for me to know why they decided to go? or perhaps i would be happier if i was ignorant as to why they left me?

"and then a few years after that, my aunt ended up divorcing my uncle and walking out too. so, now it's just me and my uncle..." he revealed, letting out a bitter laugh.

haeri's furrowed her brows, confused by the sudden laugh. however, although she had a feeling there was more to his story, she knew that he would reveal it all with time. there was no need for her to learn everything all at once, especially if he was not willing to share it all just yet.

'baby steps.' haeri thought. 'no need to rush.'

"i'm so sorry, gyu. thank you for telling me," she whispered calmly. "thank you for trusting me enough to tell me all of this too; i'm sure it wasn't easy."

beomgyu finally raised his head and when he met haeri's tender gaze, he felt all the tension in his body slip away. "thank you for letting me be able to trust you." he softly replied with a faint grin. "you have no idea how much it means to me..."

haeri scooched forward the slightest bit and gently pulled the boy into her embrace. although he was caught off guard, beomgyu quickly made himself comfortable in her arms and returned the hug, greatly appreciating the gesture.

"honestly, i'm not too sure if this is out of line for me to say, and i'm sorry if it is. but, your parents are wrong for what they did.

"they had such a loving and obedient son who appreciated all of their efforts to play with him and didn't ask questions when he was told to do something. being a parent is a big responsibility that takes a lot of energy, it's true; but by having you, they accepted that responsibility. they should've thought about whether they were ready or not before, not after. it's unfair for you."

listening to how haeri's voice broke more and more with every word she spoke, beomgyu found himself beginning to tear up. and when she pulled away from the hug, he was surprised to find that she too had tears hugging the rims of her eyes.

"i hope you're well aware of all of that," she strictly stated, pointing at him almost as if she was a nagging mother. "i hope you know i meant everything i just said as well. you didn't deserve to go through that at all. nobody deserves that." haeri tried her best to keep herself together, but once she let out one choked sob, everything began to spill out.

beomgyu was shocked to see her burst into tears, but strangely enough, he was touched. she was crying for him and that was something no one had ever done before. it showed how much she cared, and for that, he was beyond grateful.

this time, beomgyu was the one to gently tug her into his arms. "hey, why're you crying..?" he asked in a hushed tone, soothingly rubbing her back. "you're going to make me cry too, silly..." he let out a sniffled laugh.