The Waking

Snow was falling slowly around her. She didn't know when the exact moment was that she opened her eyes. She just knew that she was somewhere she didn't recognize. She had no idea if her vision was actually this blurry or if the water from the melted snowflakes were just clouding her vision. Her body felt weak. Or it would be more accurate to say that she could hardly feel it at all. Everything was so numb. Whether it was from the cold or something else. Even if it was the cold, she was surprised that she wasn't shivering.

She needed to move. The peace wouldn't last forever, and something in the back of her mind was telling her that. Muted instincts were warning her that the place she was in right now was dangerous. She needed to move and she needed to move now. But why? She didn't know.

'Get up. Come on. Get up!' She urged herself.

Despite her initial limp body, she found the will to move. Just barely. But she quickly figured out that every single bone in her body was screaming at her to simply just stop. Just stop. But she couldn't. She needed to go right now. Why did she need to leave? Was there anything out here that made for a dangerous setting? Why was she so afraid?

A guttural groan tore its way from her throat as she managed to get her arms behind herself and sit up. She was no longer numb, and her body was absolutely trembling with effort and pain. Holy shit everything hurt so much. She attempted to look around, and discovered rather quickly that it was as she expected: she didn't know where she was. In fact...she didn't know who she was, or how she even got there. A name lingered in the back of her mind but she wasn't focused on that right now. There was something much more obvious that was taking over her field of vision.

Impaled into the side of her body was a large and jagged piece of wood. And it went in deep. Way too deep. Once she laid eyes on it, it was like her entire body decided to have all sensations return at once. She slowly began to hyperventilate, and she looked around for any signs of someone that could help her. She was surrounded by old-looking wooden homes that looked like they had been completely razed. Windows and entire sections of walls were busted out. Not to mention the bloodstained snow surrounding each of these openings.

"H-help....please!!! Someone help!!!!" She called out, her voice hoarse from disuse.

But her voice echoed uselessly across the empty village. She had no idea what could've happened here, or how she even got here in the first place. She felt like she was yelling to no one at all. All of her memories were gone. She didn't know who she was, or anything! What happened?! How could this have all come to happen?!

Not realizing just how badly she was panicking, she began to grow dizzy due to both hyperventilation, and stress. Her vision was tunneling in once more, and she no longer had the ability to call for help. It was all so....so very confusing and disorienting. Her arms gave way beneath her. Perhaps it was the pain that was catching up with her finally, or maybe it was the stress-induced fear of not knowing what was happening.

Either way, she felt herself fall backwards into the snow once more. She closed her eyes and allowed the sounds around her to slowly fade into the background once more. And only faintly could she hear something akin to a howl in the distance, followed by gunshots. But she was most likely imagining all of that.

Right?

-

She didn't know how long it had been since she last opened her eyes. But she could tell immediately upon regaining consciousness that she was in a different spot than before. She blinked a few times in order to see if her vision would become any more clear. It did. For the most part at least. She could now see the wooden ceiling above her and come to the conclusion that she was inside a house. Of course, she didn't know how.