Chapter 14

Camila

My phone beeps, the timer for my mile going off, so I slow my strides.

As soon as I pull my earbuds from my ear, my phone vibrates, so I free from my armband.

I smile at my screen and open Lauren's text.

Champion: I had eggs for breakfast.

My feet come to a complete stop, and I grin as I message her back.

Me: Billy Ray Cyrus Achy Breaky Heart.

Champion: Really?! How do you even know who he is?

She's totally smiling right now.

Before I can respond, another text comes through.

Champion: It's from Hannah Montana, isn't it? You were one of those crazy girls who cried when little Miley grew up to be...my kinda Miley.

She sends a little winky face, and I bust up laughing, partly because she's right, mostly because this conversation is ridiculous, but that's exactly why it's so much fun.

Me: Liar. Miley's too wild for you and you know it. I feel like you're more of an Emma Watson kind of person.

Champion: You sure?

I suck my stomach in, a small cackle slipping from me.

Me: No, I guess I'm not... but I still win. Again.

Champion: I'll stump you, Queen C.. Just wait.

I grin, locking my phone back in place, and finish off the rest of my lap since I couldn't manage to trim anytime off my mile like Carl challenged me to.

Monday morning, when I woke up, Lauren had texted me saying the coach gave Carl a shout out after the team's film session that morning. I texted her back Sage the Gemini—Good Thing.

Her response was a bright smile, I know it.

That night, I got another message, claiming she saw something odd at the grocery store—peanut butter flavored Oreos. I sent back the link to KC and JoJo's Tell me it's real.

Ever since then, it's been a game between the two of us. She hits me with something random, and I prove Zayn's words right. I am, in fact, equipped with a jukebox. Like I said, it's fun, lighthearted and I'm pretty sure the sole purpose is to simply make each other laugh in case one of us needs it. It's not the only time we talk. Like this morning, I sent her a picture of my shoes after I mindlessly walked into a mud puddle, a broken sprinkler left behind, and she sent back a photo of the notes she was taking in class.

No big deal, just us chatting a bi" like new friends will.

Wiping my brow, I step off the track and head for the girl's locker room for a quick shower before meeting Harry for my promised study session.

I'm dressed back in my jean shorts and burgundy long-sleeve and headed for the library, not fifteen minutes later, braiding my hair along the way.

I spot Harry's behemoth body the second I walk in the door, and quickly tie off my hair as I rush over to save the poor student helper who has no idea what she's in for if I don't rescue her. Her rigid stance and the way she's clutching those books to her chest tells me she's not ready for all the Styles charm, but the wide sparkle in her eyes scream she wishes she were.

He sees It, which is why he's inching his way closer, towering over her small frame.

Big dummy.

I step up and slap my hand on his shoulder. He doesn't flinch in the slightest, doesn't even look back at me. "Welcome to the party, Milz Baby."