Chapter 45

Dual pov

Camila

White twinkling lights hang from the wall, sheer blue curtain woven around them to create a dreamy, winter wonderland type atmosphere. Large pillars span the corners of the walls and at the front, raised on a small stage is a table full of trophies and plaques.

Some girls and most of the guys are dressed In sharp suits and the girls mostly are in glowing gowns, all but the coaching staff, who opted for their sideline attire.

The music is soft and the food a sampler-style cultural mix.

After the staff has the tables cleared from dinner, champagne flutes are passed around to those with wristbands, sparkling cider for the rest of us. The head coach takes the stage, taps on the mic and begins to welcome everyone to the ninetieth annual winter gala.

"It's not uncommon to have a good team and a decent season. I've been here for twenty-two years and there hasn't been a single year I couldn't claim the same, but there is a difference in good and gold, and this year, the Pheonix High football team was fucking gold."

The room erupts with hoots and hollers, Harry's loud bark heard above each and every one.

The man goes on about his team, giving praise to them as a unit, sharing some of their trials with those of us who were none the wiser, and then he pauses. The man grabs the edge of the small podium he stands in front of and nods his head, a smile forming on his lips.

"You know, as a coach, there's only so much I can do and I do it as best as I possibly can, but I know many of my boys cuss me out in their heads on a daily basis. A coach is only a coach." He nods. "The true heroine of this season's success lies in the heart of the captain."

People whistle and my stomach swirls. I subconsciously lean forward.

"Now, unfortunately, Lauren Jauregui isn't here tonight, but if she were, I'd take my hat off to her. She took a team, built on a third of rookies, and led us to the playoffs in a year we were expected to be at the bottom of our division. She pulled many of you under her wing, and you all might not know this, 'cause she surely never said a word, but Lauren shifted her entire schedule around to be there to train and mentor every one of you who asked. She made us a family."

The backs of my eyes sting.

"For that reason, she's, without a doubt, and unanimous in votes from all thirty-nine of you on this roster, this year's MVP. I'd like to invite Zayn to the stage to accept this award on Lauren's behalf."

The room erupts with cheers, and Hailee, his date for the night, screams from her seat beside me.

Zayn pushes his sleeves a little higher, and a few guys and girls give catcalls, making him smirk in response.

"Hey now, I got a girl, and she's the jealous type," he teases, and I playfully swat at Hailee.

He clears his throat, lifts the small trophy and looks it over. "Lauren's been my best friend for three years now, and I know I'll be able to say the same thing thirty years from now."

"Hey," Shawn whispers, and I reluctantly glance his way. "Wanna go get a drink? My buddy's manning the bar."

I shake my head, facing the stage once more as Zayn continues.

"There ain't someone out there more hard working and deserving of all the good the world has to offer more than her. I, uh, I know Coach asked me to accept this award, but there's someone else here I'd like to invite up to do it instead." Zayn looks to Hailee behind me, and a frown builds along my face as he tears the mic from its holder and leaps off the stage, headed right for her. But then he says, "Camila Cabello," into the mic, and my spine straightens. Zayn smiles. "My butterfly's bestie, you might be thinking I'm crazy right now, and I sort of am, so that's fine." He's in front of me now, and I look to Hailee when he drops to his knee with a wink. "Accept this award for Lauren?"