Chapter 21

Camila

It's a little after eleven when Carl, Harry, and Shawn are walking through the door.

Harry swings me around in a hug and Carl plants a grumpy kiss to my hair as he slips by, falling to his ass on the couch, his eyes instantly closing.

"Someone had a long night." I laugh, turning to Shawn, who hesitates near the door, last night's encounter likely playing in his head, so I ease his mind, offering a smile. "Hey."

It works, his shoulders pepping up a bit, and he grins, his eyes falling to my outfit. "Hey, you look good."

"Thanks." I smooth my top down on instinct, glancing at my matching burgundy booties. "Hailee said you guys ordered pizza?"

"Yeah, none of us thought we could stand long enough to grill burgers like we planned to."

I laugh, and he follows me into the kitchen, posting himself on the opposite side of the countertop. "The loss hit that bad, huh?"

"Fuckin' sucked. We beat ourselves."

I blow out a long breath. "True, but hey, maybe you'll get your shot at starting this week now. There were three errors from the starting receivers this game alone."

"Hate to admit it, but..."

"But that's the first thing you thought?"

He nods.

"Hey, that's the name of the game." I shrug. "Our Parents have told you guys time and time again, one man's mistake—"

"Is another man's gain." He frowns suddenly, his eyes lifting to mine.

They hold there, only dropping when the door is thrown open, and Hailee comes inside, some guy I've seen in the halls behind her, pizza boxes in hand. "The food has arrived." They set the items down and she pats the boy's shoulder, shoving him back into the hall. "Thanks, Hon. I owe you one."

"I'll cash in on that!"

"K, bye!" she shouts, turning to us with a grin. "Let's eat so we can tell our parents were good kids and be on our separate ways. I've got shit to do today."

I get right to passing around plates, thankful for the quick and easy option, since Lauren asked me to go with her somewhere today.

We carry the boxes into the living room, and this time, the TV stays off.

We sit back, listen to the boys' play-by-plays, as if we didn't watch the game on TV, but we don't care. Growing up, this was one of our favorite times of the week, when our families would get together at the end of the week and talk shop.

We chat about school and midterms, and the guys let us in on their idea to go camping over the upcoming school holiday, instead of going to our beach house as we had thought we would. They scored a Thursday game, so once they get back into town, they're free until Monday. The second we agree to go, the plan is official.

I'm leaning against the coffee table beside Hailee when my phone rings on the ground beside me. Lauren's name, or more Champion, flashes along the screen.

"Someone got a new phone." Hailee, being the asshole she is, grabs it, answering on speaker. "Oh, Champion, Champion, where for—"

"Shut up!" I laugh, snagging it from her, only to have Harry snag it from me.

"Hello?" He does his best to mimic a woman's voice, failing miserably, making us laugh.

"I'm going to take a wild guess and say this is... Harry?" Lauren's grin is evident.