Chapter 29

Camila

Clara presses the nurse's button on the remote at her side, and Lauren jumps to her feet, concerned.

"Relax, Ren." She rolls her head Lauren's way. "I just need a small favor is all."

"I can help you ma." Lauren frowns, turning it off, but she presses it again.

"Lauren. Stop." She smiles, looking over at the woman who slips into the room. "Cathy, you finally get to meet my Lauren's... Mila or should i say Camz?."

I chuckle, and Lauren looks at me, the annoyance slipping from her face. I wave at the woman. "Nice to meet you."

"And you." She grins, walking toward the end of Clara's bed. "What can I get ya, sweets?"

"You know that new printer you told me about, in the lobby?" Clara asks. "Could you take a photo of these two for me? Maybe by the pumpkins you said are on the back patio, if they're still there?"

The woman's smile Is kind as she nods. "Of course, I can." She looks to us. "Follow me?"

Lauren hesitates, but slowly pushes to her feet. "Meet me in the hall in just a minute?"

My brows pull together, but I nod. "Yeah, of course."

As soon as they're gone, Clara turns to me. "You don't mind a photo, do you?"

"Not at all."

"I just... I want to remember this, my Daughter is happy." Her eyes cloud, but she blinks it away. "Most of the smiles I get are glossed with sadness. I worry every time she walks out the door. Not for me, for her. You know sthe story when she was born?"

"no. tell me?"

"Mm-hm. I was rushed to the hospital and everything, but she was being ornery. I thought she'd come at that moment, but nope, Lauren made me wait."

"Until the end of June."

"Yeah," she coos, as if proud that I know.

I look to the door, quickly leaning in. "I'd like to do something for Lauren, but I'll need your help."

I explain it to her briefly, and her eyes gloss over, her hand shaking as she reaches over to place it on my cheek.

"My, my, sweet girl." Her voice is raspy. "I don't even know what I can say to you to make you understand what you've done for me. What you continue to do for me."

A slight blush washes over me. "So I can call you later?"

"Of course, you can." She nods, gently nudging me along, so I rush out to meet Lauren in the hallway.

Her expression is torn, but she slips her hand in mine, and we follow Cathy out to the patio.

It's a gorgeous stone courtyard, lined with large soft bulbs that glow a soft yellow. There are hay bales stacked in the farthest corner, pumpkins of all shapes and sizes strategically piled around them. Cathy ushers us over and pulls her phone out.

"Stand anywhere you like." She smiles.

Lauren looks to the holiday décor, and something flickers along her face, the reality of time maybe. So rather than link the moment or thought to a time of year that may weigh heavy later in life, I grab her by the hand and lead us toward the fountain in the center, large stone pots full of Peonies arranged like stairs on both the left and right side.

Lauren's gaze finds mine, and with that one look, the unspoken sorrow that swept over her disappears. She lowers onto the edge, and pulls me onto her lap, twisting the slightest bit, so my right shoulder is resting against her right body. She kisses my cheek, before facing forward, and I allow my head to rest on hers. Her arms come around me and the woman lifts her phone.