Chapter 15

Camila

"How is it so fucking hot?" Hailee whines as she peels herself from the bleachers and begins packing up her books.

"Sitting on these plastic seats doesn't exactly help. I'm a pile of sweat."

"We should make the boys put a canopy up for us."

"Because they have time to do that before practice."

She laughs, knocking my feet from the back of the chair in front of me, so she can pass. "True, but can we talk about why it's still so hot and we're officially in October? I mean, what the hell is this shit? We're in Southern California, for fuck's sake."

"It's the metal and the turf and the sun. You know this. Step into the shade and it'll drop a solid fifteen degrees."

"Which is why I suggested the canopy." She smirks. "K, bye. My professor wants me at the child development center to meet some of the parents at pick-up today."

"You'll be home tonight?"

"Yep. See you later."

I wave and lay my book on my chest, closing my eyes to bake in the sun's soft glow.

I'm not sure how much time has passed when the clacking of cleats against cement meets my ears.

I shield my eyes with my hand and squint at the approaching figure.

"You trying to get a sunburn?!" Lauren shouts from a few rows down.

I still can't see her face but sit up in my seat with a smile. "No way, the sun and me, we go way back. She's good to me."

Lauren chuckles, and as she climbs the next two stairs, she finally comes into view.

She's red in the face, dripping with sweat and... ridiculously attractive.

She smiles, swiping a hand through her slick, dark hair, and the soft, sun-made highlights show themselves.

"What are you doing up here, come to watch me?" she teases.

"Ha! Sorry but been doing this for years. I guess you're simply a bonus."

Her shoulder pads lift and she winks. "I figured as much, considering I spotted you up here weeks ago."

"Did you now?"

She only grins, so I tap on the book covering my chest. "Me and Hailee started coming out to their practices back in high school, so we carried it over once we got here."

"Nice." She nods.

"You done for the day? It's a little early." I peek at my phone.

"Yeah, we doubled on film this morning, weight room right after, so it was more a run day today." She grabs the towel tucked into the back of her pads and wipes it along her brows. "Worked up an appetite though."

I grin. "Is that right?"

"It is." She cocks her head. "Feel like helping me cook again tonight?"

I drop my feet, lowering my book to my lap. "And what help was I to you last time?"

"You helped me eat it." Her lips curve up on one side.

A laugh slips from me, a little too loud apparently, because I catch the attention of several of her teammates as they head into the tunnel, and of course, Harry and Shawn are among them. They both stop, their eyes darting up and over to where we're standing. Subconsciously, I sink into my chair.

Lauren catches my movement and glances over her shoulder, nodding her head as she turns back to me.

I want to shrink into myself, embarrassed by my childish reaction, but as I look to Lauren, not a hint of judgment slips over her, quite the opposite really.