Chapter 41

Dual pov

Camila

Stuffed, I drop my head back, happy to have my parents home. "That was so good."

My dad takes the Tupperware container and tosses it into a bag on the countertop. "Yeah, that Lauren sure knows how to cook."

"Lauren Jauregui?" I look to my dad. "She made that?"

"Oh, yeah, and straight from scratch. Pretty impressive, if you ask me. Why do you think it took us three hours to get back here?"

"I didn't think it was because Pheonix's quarterback seconded as a chef, that's for sure." I gasp, looking to Carl. "Oh my god! Your season? How was it? Did you play?"

Carl chuckles, opens his mouth, but I cut him off before he can speak.

"Wait, don't tell me! I changed my mind," I tell my family, and all eyes slide my way.

Once my dad and Carl got back, we were able to call Dr. Brian back in, and this time, he was joined by a specialist. They broke everything done once more, so my parents could fully understand and the way the specialist explained what I'm facing made me think about things a little differently, leading me to my final decision.

"I don't want anyone to tell me about the last few months."

"Camila." Carl shakes his head. "There are things you need to know."

Subconsciously, my hand plants on my stomach, and I nod.

"I know, and I will ask some about some things, but I want the chance to do exactly that when I need to. The doctor said someone else's thoughts could confuse me more than I already am, and I don't want to risk that. I want to remember on my own. They said I can."

"Of course you can, sweetheart." My mom pushes my hair back. "There's no pressure. Whatever you decide, we're here."

"About that, I get released tomorrow, and I don't... I don't want to go home."

My mom looks from me to my dad, and Carl guesses, "Beach house?"

I nod, looking between the three of them. "It's the last place I remember, and I want to stay closer. I also want to go back when the semester starts."

"That's less than a month away."

"And the doctor said I could remember any day. The accident was fifteen days ago. Everything should come back soon. Tomorrow even."

The room Is quiet a moment, and my mom offers a small smile. "And if it takes a little longer?"

A wave of nausea hits me, but I steady myself. "I still want to go back, especially then. Being on campus, hanging around the same areas and the same people could help. I did end up on campus, right?"

"Course you were." Carl clears his throat. "I think that all sounds good. I'll have Hailee pack you some things tonight, have it ready for tomorrow."

Worry pulls at my dad's brows, but he nods, putting his hand on my mom's back as she stands.

"Me and Dad can hit the stores, stock the fridge and things." My mom nods, anxious. "But if you think I'm going home mija , you're crazy. I'll stay in our condo down the beach."

I reach out, squeezing her hand. "I figured you'd say that."

She winks, and then they're all on their feet, visiting hours almost over for the day, and now that I'm no longer critical, the standard rules apply. Honestly, it's a relief and admitting that makes me feel guilty, but they see my heavy eyes and tell me to rest. It comes from a place of love, but if they knew the way my stomach turns at the thought of nightfall, they'd worry themselves to death.