CHAPTER 2 | Stranger

KWAME.

The pungent smell from the hospital is the first thing I smell when I gain consciousness. I have an aching headache, my mouth feels like it was stuffed with cotton balls and my body is in excruciating pain. I slowly open my eyes and see a shadow of someone. I can't see who they are because they look like they are sleeping. I try to lift my arm but it feels too heavy so I groan.

The person looks up and I sigh because it's my older brother. He looks relieved to see me awake. Damn, did  I die or what?
'' Kwame, you're finally awake''
''I am. why am I here, what happened?''
'' You don't remember?''
'' No,'' I looked out of the window and frowned. '' What am I doing in Cape Town?''
'' Bro, come one now. What is the last thing you remember?''
'' The last thing I remember?, uhm we went to do a job with the guys and we got caught, i got caught and someone shot me. We were in Joburg so how did i end up being here?''

He wipes his head and frowns. '' I'll be back, i need to get a doctor here''
'' You're a doctor, what am i missing here?''
'' When was the last time you saw our parents?''
'' Man what is all this...''
'' Damn it, Kwame, just answer me''
'' Fine, you're making my headache worse. I saw mom and our father last year during christmas. we did a job yesterday so that means i haven't seen them in 6 months.''

Fxck!. He curses then walks out and just leaves me there. Great, I'm the one who's in pain but he's the one freaking out. I force my body up, groaning in pain then sit up. I take a glass of water and force my arm up so I can drink it. Fxck that hurts. The door opens and my brother walks in with another doctor who comes and starts poking me and shining things in my eyes and asks me a bunch of questions. 
'' Will you both stop and tell me what is going on?''
''Mr, I mean Dr Hudson-Odoi, you seem to be experiencing memory loss.''
'' Memory loss how when i remember my name, who i am and i recognize my brother?''
'' You have lost a year and a half of your memory.'' Majid tells me..
'' Wait Hudson, what month is this?''
'' My birthday was last week and i turned 42 years''
'' I can't remember anything that happened the last 18 months?''

'' Ok, so i got shot while i was here celebrating your birthday?''
'' Yes and no. Look I can't explain it to you now but I will. We need to get you to do a scan so they can run some tests and see what could have caused your memory loss''
'' I studied medicine, Hudson and trained and worked as one too. I know i wasn't shot on my head but then what could have caused this memory loss unless something traumatic happens before i got short?''
'' I wasn't there when you got short but there's a lot we need to talk about especially why you were here. Doc, you can take him''

They remove the catheter, help me to sit on the wheel chair then the nurse wheels me out followed by the doctor. What in the actual fuck is going on?. Where are Msizi, Collen and Kudjoe?. Did they get shot too? Are they dead?. My God, I hope they are okay. 30 minutes later they take me back to my room after they seem satisfied and me asking them too many questions and they don't have an answer to what is going on because everything seems normal from the x-ray we saw.
Hudson is confused as I am because the bullets didn't hit any vital organs that could have maybe caused my memory loss.
'' Here are your clothes, You need some help?''
'' No. I'll scream if i want help'' he tries not to laugh but then he eventually does.

'' Idiot, go and in there so we can talk''
'' Is mom angry?''
'' She's worried but I haven't told them that you are awake because there's a lot to talk about, Hudson senior is very angry at you''
'' I must have done something big to make dad angry''
'' Not exactly, go and shower''

I got inside the bathroom and saw where I was short. Six bullets, someone really wanted me dead. Why was I here and why do I feel like I'm missing something, of course the memories but something else too. My heart is aching like I'm missing someone but I know that I broke up with that gold digger. I shower as best as I can, dress up and walk out feeling like a human being.
When I walk out, my guy Msizi is here. He smiles but I see worry behind his smile. We meet, fist bump then we hug tightly and I just know things went bad and they might probably still be bad.
'' What the fxck did we do, how did i end up here and where is Collen and Kudjoe?''