CHAPTER 3 | GOODBYE

AMARA

I ran out of the ward crying, shattered because I did not expect this in a million years. How could someone I love, someone who means the world to me just not remember me or have any feeling that we are lovers. Even if his mind doesn't remember me, his body is supposed to recognize me right?. I am so hurt right now, I don't know what to do.

I stop running and gather myself because it's no use crying over something that I cannot change. Kwame doesn't remember me and that is okay, as hard as it is, I have to accept it and try to move on with my life even though I have no idea how I am going to do that. I walk in the waiting room, they stand and my mother meets me halfway.

“ Are you okay?” She's concerned.
“ Let's go home ma, Kwame has amnesia and he doesn't remember me.”
“ Oh baby, I'm so sorry”
“ It's okay, crying about it won't change anything. I understand now why bab'Rocco was too quiet and Majid acting weird. They knew that he doesn't remember me and I was going to be hurt”
“ Maybe it's a temporary thing, maybe his memory will  one back faster than you think,,”
“ And if it doesn't?” I sniffed.

She pulls me into her arms and hugs me. I try not to cry but they stream down my face. Someone clears their throat behind us. I lift up my head and see two men. One of them is my brother. I recognize him from the pictures Kwame showed me that day when they were having dinner as a family looking happy. The other man is shaking hands with baba'Rocco who looks really happy to see him, they obviously know each other.

He gasps when he sees me, I let go of my mother who turns around and closes her mouth with her hands muffling her cries when she sees her son.
“ Mama, is it really you?” He walks closer to her.
“ Does anyone call you nousnous, it's me. It's really me.” She cups his cheek, a lone tear rolls down his cheek. * nauseous is a French word meaning teddy bear. You pronounce it as nunus*
He is taller than her, he looks at her for a while then tightly hugs her.

You know that hug you give someone you love, someone you haven't seen in a while and have missed them so much? Yeah,he gives her that hug. He pulls out of her embrace and looks at me.
“ Amara, I am Nasir. Your older brother…..” he chokes up, making me cry also. “.....it's  good, more than good to finally meet you”
“ Thank you, I'm happy to see you and meet you too”
“ Can I hug you or we shake hands. Whatever you're comfortable with”  I close my eyes.

I guess my family knows what happened to me. Collen and Kudjoe must have told my father when they went to Joburg . I appreciate that he's asking for permission instead of just giving me a hug.
“ We can hug” he pulls me to his arms and embraces me. I feel tears on my cheek and notice that his shoulders shake for a while before he pulls away. He wipes his face and looks down.

“ You're beautiful, I think you're the only child who looks like both our parents” I offered him a smile. “ I'm really happy to see you and mom. This is the best day of my life”
That makes me happy to hear. “ Thank you, I'm really happy that I finally met you”  He cups my cheek then kisses my forehead.
“ I'm sorry, I….”
“ It's okay,” he nodded.
“ Ma, Amara,  this is uncle Ngcebo, dad's friend. I don't know if you still remember him?”

“ It's nice to meet you uncle Ngcebo” he sees.
“ Ngcebo Maphumulo, I can never forget you. How are you?”
“ I'm good Mrs Hadid, Amara, it's my pleasure to meet you and It's good to see you again Mrs Hadid ”
“ I'm just glad to be out of that place. I just want to see all of my children. Where is your father?”
“ He's home, he wanted to come but he didn't want to overwhelm you and Amara.”

My mother frowns looking at my brother. My brother Nasir, this is crazy. I can't wait to see my older sister and brother too. As much as it is scary for me because I don't know how they are going to feel when they see me, they might be excited or maybe shocked. I'm just happy to know that I am not alone in this whole world. I have a family too besides Kwame.