22: Reunion

Alhaitham's mom walked downstairs.
She was hoping Alhaitham or Kaveh didn't realise that she saw them kiss.

As she entered the kitchen, she saw her mother (Alhaitham's grandmother) sit in front of the television, watching a random show.

„ There you are.", Alhaitham's grandmother said, „ I was looking for you actually. I have some news you might like."

„ Hi mom. What do you want to tell me?", Alhaitham's mother said as she started to clean some dishes.

„ You'll never guess what! Kaveh is actually a girl. I saw her wearing pads and she had a vagina! Isn't that weird?", Alhaitham's grandma said.

Alhaitham's mom took a deep breath.
„ No, it's not weird.", she replied.

Alhaitham's grandmother turned around. She wasn't expecting that answer from her daughtee.
„ But it's weird how Alhaitham lied to us that Kaveh was a guy. And it is weird because I believed Kaveh was a guy, since her voice is deep.", Alhaitham's grandmother said, „ Maybe Kaveh is just a messed up person of the young messed up generation."

„ Having a vagina doesn't mean you're a female.", Alhaitham's mom said.

Alhaitham's grandmother stared at her.
„ Are you silly or what? Everyone knows that only girls have vaginas, and only girls can have periods.", Alhaitham's grandmother growled.

„ Well guess what, I overheard Alhaitham and Kaveh just now.", Alhaitham's mother growled, „ Kaveh is transgender. He was born a girl, but now identifies as a guy. And Alhaitham is dating Kaveh. He loves Kaveh, I can tell by the way he looks as him. I just want you to be supportive. I am supportive, so you should be too."

Alhaitham's mother walked out of the room.

Meanwhile, Kaveh had cheered up. He was lying on Alhaitham's chest, watching a studio Ghibli movie.
„ By the way, I think I will tell your family that I'm transgender.", Kaveh said after a while, „ After all, your grandma did see that I have a vagina and I don't want her calling me a girl."

Alhaitham paused the movie.
„ Are you sure? I can also just say to your grandma that you were wearing a costume that had a vagina-!", Alhaitham began.

That moment, there was a knock on the door.
It was Alhaitham's mother.

„ Fuck.", Alhaitham and Kaveh thought to themselves, hoping she hadn't heard them.

„ Can I come in?", she asked.
„ Yeah.", Kaveh nervously answered after a few seconds.

Alhaitham's mother sat down on a chair in Alhaitham's bedroom.

„ I overheard everything.", Alhaitham's mother said.

Alhaitham and Kaveh's eyes opened widely. Kaveh started to tear up.
„ I'm sorry, I didn't want to make you cry.", Alhaitham's mom gasped, „ I just wanted to apologize for my mother's behavior. Kaveh, please know that your genitals don't define your gender. You're a guy, and don't listen to my mother."

Kaveh and Alhaitham were both shocked. Alhaitham always believed that his mother had the same views as his grandmother about the LGBTQ+ community.
„ Thank you for saying that.", Kaveh thanked as he wiped his tears away.

„ And son, you don't have to lie to me about having a fake girlfriend who couldn't make it this trip.", Alhaitham's mother chuckled, „ I've always accepted the LGBTQ+ community. Congrats on your relationship by the way."

Alhaitham's mother left.

Alhaitham and Kaveh smiled at each other.

„ Well, at least my mom is supportive.", Alhaitham happily said.
„ I'm happy about that.", Kaveh said, „ I don't care about what your grandma says anyway. I know that I'm a boy."

Alhaitham leaned in and kissed Kaveh's lips.
„ That's my boy.", he said smiling.

Two days had passed. It was Alhaitham and Kaveh's last full day staying with Alhaitham's family. Kaveh was secretly excited to going back home again. Ever since Alhaitham's grandmother found out the truth about Kaveh being transgender, she purposely called Kaveh a girl. Although Kaveh was hurt by it, he was happy that a lot of people did see him as a boy.

Alhaitham and Kaveh were in a shopping mall together, spending their last day together.
„ I used to come here a lot as a kid.", Alhaitham said, „ There was this toy shop I was obsessed with. I would come here at least once a week. Once the toy store shut down, I never came here again...until today."

Kaveh laughed.
„ By the way, is there any food you want me to buy? I was planning that we would just eat random shop bought food on the train journey tomorrow."
„ I just need chewing gum.", Kaveh said smiling.

„ Great. You wait here, while I get chewing gum.", Alhaitham said as he walked into a kiosk.

Meanwhile, Kaveh stood outside the kiosk, scrolling on his phone. He was checking his emails, seeing if he maybe got into the architecture course, the course he dreamed of doing.

He still had received response.
„ Maybe I wasn't accepted.", Kaveh thought to himself.

Suddenly, he felt a tap on his shoulder.
He looked in front of him and saw a woman with long blonde hair. She was wearing a long blue dress. She looked pretty and had a nice sense of fashion.

„ Hi, how can I help you?", Kaveh asked the woman.

„ Kaveh, is that you?", she asked. Her green eyes were opened widely.

„ Yeah...sorry, but who are you?", Kaveh asked with a confused look on his face.

„ It's me, Faranak.", the woman said smiling, as she started to tear up.