Chapter I

Conscription Day also known hell on earth

All I think about as I get dressed is I will not be a name on a stone

On the positive I get to see him. It's been a while since I saw my best friend and I can only imagine how much he changed. I mean look at me I'm taller now fully developed and stronger than the last time I saw him when I was 18.

I put on my flight leathers on even though they were supposed to be earned. I pulled some strings. I put my hair in a tight braid that flows down my shoulders.

Basgiath war college comes into view as I walk the winding road. It is a fortress as it lays on top of the mountain.

The main entrance is filled with families saying goodbyes and tears streaming down faces.

" Ridiculous" I mumble under my breath

"Pathetic weak ridiculous" I say again

As the line continues all I can think about is the weight of the dagger on my thigh and the row of daggers going down my breast to the other side of my body. All 10 of them are as sharp as a dragons tooth

"Nora, Nora Freysson" I say to the scribe who collects all the names

He looks up at me with weary eyes

"As in Cade Freysson" my eyes wide, and a little bit as he looks down at the relic that twists up my arm down my shoulder and hits right where my right breast lays but the back corset covers most of it.

"He was my father" I say in a monotone voice.

"He was Fen Riorsons right hand man was he not?" The scribe questions

"Key word was" I state and push past

I do not have time for this today I thought

As I hike up the stairs I see Violet Sorrengail, the girl walking as weak as ever as she's trading a rider boot with another girl.

"Pathetic" I mumble.

That must be the word of the day I thought.

As I look around, I automatically meet eyes with black onyx . He looks at me up and down and smirks. I nod. Knowing that I can't give up to everyone around me,  that I know him .

As we move forward in line, I am behind Violet. I can see her shaking from a mile away though. I concentrate on my breathing and just study the third year rider and my best friend. I would go as far as saying brother. I don't do relationships but if I did I would give that man my last breath.

"you ready Violet" a girl named Rhiannon says

Both me and his head snap to her

I hear the voice I missed so much say " Your general, Sorengails daughter." His voice is deep as he watches Violet like a hawk.

" And your Fen Riorsons son" Violet countered.

Xaden took in a deep breath, making his muscles and his jaw flex.

" Your mother captured my father and killed him"

Of course, I needed to get my blow in there, too

" Wait Riorson don't leave me out of the kill party her mom did the same thing to my father"

His mouth turns upward and his smirk grows. But Violet looks at me and sees my relic going up my arm

"Your the daughter of Cade Freysson"

I only nod with a smirk

She turns back to Xaden.

" your father's captured and killed my brother I think that calls it even"

Before she could blink, the dagger that was locked in by my thigh was around her neck and her back was to my chest. If any more pressure was applied, there would be a nice gouge, and her breathing would stop.

" I dare you to say that again" I say and I feel a sight from behind me.

That was until a firm hand wrapped around my wrist and pulled me to a chest. A hard chest.

"Sorengail you might wanna leave before I let her go and I'm not responsible for what she does" Xaden says in a cold hard tone.

She looks at him and asks " are you going to kill me?"

He only chuckles and says " why would I kill you when the parapet will do it for me?"

She only nods but before she can turn around, he says one more thing

" and if that doesn't kill you, the girl I'm restraining will"

As she walks out on the parapet Xaden doesn't let me go rather he lets a guy behind me go.

Xaden turns me around and says " you really want to put a target on your back, don't you?"

I respond snarky with " the relic on my arm does that for me"

"Remember what I taught you and whatever you do, don't die. I need you on the other side with me" he says in a quiet voice.

I nod and smile as I step out on the Parapet.

I hear him mumble "A pain in my ass"

I just chuckle

*** Hi guys this is just a little Authors note, Please let me know how you are liking the story so far and if you guys want to see anything happen. I would love to hear your guys thoughts and ideas.****