Chapter XXI

"It is common for individuals to be drawn towards those who share similar qualities as themselves

"It is common for individuals to be drawn towards those who share similar qualities as themselves. This fact explains why Xaden and I became friends. However, it is peculiar that many people tend to abandon their friends and refuse to support them in their time of need. On the other hand, Xaden was always there for me when he was around, but he also knew when to step back and let me handle my conflicts. He was once a true friend who understood the importance of boundaries."- a letter From Lieutenant Nora Freysson

As the day wore on, a sense of anticipation settled on my shoulders. The classes seemed pointless and the material taught felt like it would only lead to my demise. It was then that I realized that sparring was the only way to break free from this mindset that was put on me today. With determination, I pushed through the crowd of people and caught the gaze of Xaden, who was watching me from the top of the terrace.

The sun was setting, casting an amber glow across the cobblestone yard. As Xaden and I locked eyes, I knew it was time to release the pent-up energy that had been building inside me all day. With a nod to Liam, who was supposed to be watching Violet, I strode confidently toward the sparring gym. Xaden followed close behind, his presence a comforting reminder that I was not alone.

As we reached the gym, I could feel the eyes of the other students on me, but I didn't falter. I threw open the doors, and the sound echoed off the walls. Without breaking stride, I made my way to the end of the gym, throwing off my shirt as I went. I could feel the sweat starting to bead on my skin, and my heart racing with anticipation.

As I took my place on the sparring mat, I closed my eyes for a moment, focusing my energy and my mind. When I opened them again, I was ready. The others may have been watching, but they were no longer a distraction. I was in the zone, ready to push myself to my limits of exhaustion,Without a word Xaden knew exactly what I needed as he stepped on the mat.

Xaden and I stood on opposite sides of the sparring mat, our eyes locked in a fierce stare. I could feel the adrenaline pumping through my veins as we began to circle each other, each looking for an opening. Suddenly, Xaden lunged forward, his fist aimed at my head.

I ducked just in time, and his fist whizzed past my ear. As I straightened up, I launched a counterattack, aiming a swift kick at his midsection. He blocked it with ease, and I stumbled backward. For several minutes, we fought back and forth, each landing blows and blocking the other's attacks.

The sound of our fists and feet connecting echoed off the walls of the gym, and the other students watched. As we continued to spar, I could feel my muscles burning with exertion, but I refused to give in. I focused all my energy on the task at hand, determined to come out on top. With a final burst of energy, I launched myself forward, aiming a punch at Xaden's face. He saw it coming and dodged out of the way, but I didn't give up.

I spun around, aiming a kick at his side. He blocked it, but I followed up with a swift punch to his stomach. Xaden stumbled backward, and I knew I had won.

I was wrong as he came charging at me and placed me on the ground. He did it with such ease to make sure I wasn't hurt as he guided me down with his hand. I was sweating and panting intensely as he led to my ear he struck my face

"You feel better sweetheart"

I had no words as my mouth was dry so I only nodded back as my big doe eyes looked up at him.

"I'm glad I could help," he says and slowly gets up to put his shirt on. Something I didn't even realize was off but now that I did I couldn't look away. I only slammed my head back down and closed my eyes due to exhaustion and numbness and sank into the mat.