Chapter XI

"You and me were raised in the same part of town

Got these scars on the same ground"- A.M One direction

As night approaches and the bunkers are filled I lay in bed rereading the letter. I constantly need to recite every word.

"What are you doing" Violet asked

I thought for a second should I lie or do I tell the truth. She is well knowledgeable because she was trained to be a scribe I thought

I sigh heavily and sat up on the bed " I need you to read this a decipher this for me but I do not want to hear a word after the paper leaves your eyes okay"

"Let's see" Is all she says as she takes the paper out of my hands and sits next to me.

"Oh Nora" She looks at me with a hit of almost pity in her eyes.

"What is it I've been reading it for hours and I couldn't figure it out"

She looks at me and in a small whisper she says "Marriage"

"WHAT" I yell a little to load and some heads turn.

"To who" "why" "for what" I riddle off questions

"Nora read It again it speaks of a revolution and heir to the power your father set you to be married in the name of power and rebellion"

" But it said Riorson"

She only nods slowly

Then it hits

" Oh my gods my father wanted me to marry Xaden"

"Nora the thing is it is stated saying the union and the footholds of power". She sighs before finishing "He promised you to him it is not that he wanted you to marry him you've been promised you can't go back on that".

My world came crashing down before me "Not if he's dead" I say in a quick tone as her eyes widen

"You can't" is all she says

"Violet, this is going to stay between me and you. NO one is going to find out about this we are going to ignore it okay"

She nods her head and makes her way up to her bed.

" Get some sleep Nora we have the Gauntlet tomorrow"

I just say a quiet goodnight and lay my head down only for my head to fill with thoughts and questions.

He knew all this time that this is what was going to happen. Everything I know is a lie. Is he really my friend of course he trained me to survive he couldn't have me die.

A young Nora and Xaden were standing in the middle of the gym he was training me in. I couldn't help but notice the fresh wounds that riddle his back. The foster home was notorious for abuse, but these look as though they are riddled on his body with intent. I was young, only 10 as we stood him shirtless asking the same question that repeats in my head every day. " Why do you have all those scars what happened to you?" he just sighed, but this time he didn't brush me off. " Your father and my father went against the kingdom. There were consequences for that." " why am I not riddled with the same scars?" 10-year-old me didn't understand the concept " I wouldn't let them hurt you. You are too young to be put through the pain that was wheeled by your father's name." " But why did you take it?" " because I would never let them touch you. Nora there are many things you do not know and Will not know for a long time " "Why ""because I made a promise to your father a long time ago "" do you think I'll make it do you think I'll be a rider "" I know you will make it. If it's the last breath I breathe you will be fine".

Flash forward me and him tangled into bedsheets, the moonlight hit his back muscles and all his scars. Two teenagers too scared to let each other go he doesn't speak. He just traces my relic up my arm and down my chest. " What are you thinking about?" " I leave tomorrow but I don't wanna leave you" "Xaden we are all forced into that war college. I will be just three years behind you. You need to wait." " You're the only thing I have left" " don't speak like that you have your cousin and the Riorson house has not been destroyed you have many things" " But it's odd, because the only thing that matters to me is you" "Xaden you know once we leave this bed the line needs to be drawn. We just have to go back to being best friends." " I know." he says as he kisses me feverishly he works his way down my relic to my breasts when both of our head duck under the blanket

I jolt awake. I slept like shit I couldn't seem to ease my mind a couple times through the night I cried. I feel like my whole life is a lie. I roll out of bed and start to string myself into my corset. I tightened it so much that I barely could breath. My breasts are pushed up high showing the fading hickeys. I braid my long hair into a tight long braid and make my way to the Dining hall. I'm mute as I find a seat next to Violet as she talks to the rest of the group. I sit there and grab my dagger and I peel my apple. I feel eyes looking at me. I look up and see Liam but that doesn't shake the eyes I feel so I turn my head and see Xaden staring at me as he peels an apple with his knife. Great, I thought. I placed my stuff down and abruptly stood up and left the hall. I hear footsteps behind me and I spin around ready to let whoever it was known to back off. Xaden of fucking course.

" I told you to stay and you left" Is all he says

"Well you took to long and I was busy"

" you went to finish your hook up?"

"It's none of your business"

I see him get noticeably angry. Slowly make my way towards him "Leave me alone or I'm gonna actually kill you Xaden and it's not a threat"

He just smirks as I turn around but he grabs my hand to pull me back. In one quick moment my left arm  hook hits his cheek. He looks at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Really Nora"

"I don't want to talk to you"

"And why is that Nora"

I contemplated telling him the truth that he is a liar and a big fat jerk

" please leave me alone" I say in a small whisper "Don't make me explain"

"Are you hurt did someone hurt you did Liam other then the markings he left all over your chest Nora because I swear to god I will kill him"

"No no no it's not like that" is all I say as I walk away. He let me leave. I think he knew that there was no winning the fight. After the Gauntlet I will speak to him but for now I just have to focus on survival.

As we all look up at the big course in front of us.

As they Begin to speak about the odds of surviving this I feel eyes burning my Body I look up and see Xaden looking at me but not my face. He's looking at my breasts and the hickeys that litter them. Hes Jaw Is clenched and his face has hardened to a stone cold look. I just sigh and cross my arms

One by one we completed the Gauntlet. 10 cadets lost their lives but the rest had survived. Violet just barely made it. As the day prolongs there is anxiety building in my chest. The need to punch Xaden and the anger I hold with resentment rising. The second he speaks to me again I'm going to...... My thoughts were cut off with a big hand grabbing my waist and pulling me to a corner.

"What the hell is going on" Xaden spoke In a raw and angry tone 

This mouther fucker I thought.