Chapter II

The wind is blowing and pushing my braid from left to right. The rain is hitting my skin and the stones are slippery. But I've trained for this. I know what I'm doing and I know how to handle a little rain. Xaden himself would kill me if I slipped because of rain.

I hum as I walk I look at each stone looking in detail. I take in my senses The wind the smell of rain and the crisp air making my arms tingle.

I'm close to the end as I see Violet with her dagger pressed against this kid's balls. I can't contain my amusement with this one. She makes eye contact with me and I know she needs help. I might not like her but I don't like bullies .

So as I reach them I take the dagger that was held to Violet's throat 30 mins ago and I put it to the kids pressing hard.

As he's in the middle of saying hes going to kill her

" I dare you" I state and follow up with " I will make your death so slow you will cry out to the gods"

The rider taking names sighs and says " well Barlow it looks like the one has you by the balls and the other has you by the throat so what's it going to be"

Jack says " You can't kill me that's against the codex"

The rider is now ready to push jack off the Parapat himself

"Well technically The girl who has you by the throat can not kill you because you and her have not successfully finished the Parapat but cadet Sorengail can do whatever she wants because she is now higher than you"

Violet looks at me for reinsurance, I can see it all over her face.

I sigh " I'll make it easy for you then" And nod my head at violet to back up. As she does I slowly drag my dagger across his neck making blood run and whisper.

" This is gonna scar you so when you look at yourself everyday in the mirror you will thank the gods that I let you live to see the sun rise". I push him forward so hes safe on the ground and pick his head up and say " Don't fuck with violet again thats my job".

Xaden is gonna kill me for this stunt I thought

Violet looks at me and nods her head and whispers a small thank you.

I turn and walk away as I clean the blood off of my dagger.

I observe everything that is happening in front of me. The way that people move, the way they act, the way this second year sweeps violet away with him. I'm going to have to remember that one.

As the group of cadets gather I follow along. With all the other first years. I look around the massive courtyard and it looks like it can hold a thousand raiders and their dragons. I watch as all of the fellow second and third years walk to the front of us. Xander is one of them. We make eye contact and nod simultaneously.

"Three hundred and one of you has survived the parapet to become cadets today" Commandant Panchek states. "Good job. Sixty-seven of you did not" wow that was less than I expected thought.

I'm next to Violet and Rhiannon and the guy that is friends with Violet. Apparently his name is Dain. I would think a guy with a  name like that would be hot but I guess I'm not always right.

" As the Codex says, now you begin the true crucible" Panchek shouts " you will be tested by your superiors, haunted by your peers and guided by your instincts. If you survive the threshing, and if you are chosen, you will be a Rider. Then we'll see how many of you make it to graduation" when I finally think he's done, he starts again " your instructors will teach you. It is up to you how well you learn discipline falls to your units and your wing leader is the last word." Well that's great.

With all that said he finishes" I'll leave you to your wing leaders. My best advice is don't die."

I sigh and mumble " Well isn't he a ray of fucking sunshine" Violet laughs.

Rattling of the Names was Nyla and I tune her out until I hear mine

".......Nora, Violet, Rhiannon you will be placed in second squad flame section" Nyla says

We look and walk over but I can't help but look up at Xaden but he is already looking at me with an intense look in his eyes that would make any female melt. 

He turns and starts to speak in a hushed whisper to the fellow wing leaders. He turns back around with a mute expression.

Nyla turns back to us and proceeds to say "Dain Aetos, you and your squad will switch with Aura Beinhavens"

"What'  violet says but is hushed by Dain.

I just smirk as I look Xaden. We are placed right in-front of him. He ends up right behind me and I feel his warmth radiate through my body 

" I just can't stay away  " Is all he whispers as he adds more "Not after the stunt you pulled you have half of third year guys on there knees"

I only shake and laugh. I know he did all of it to torment Violet.

As the wing leaders come up to talk I zone out. I hear the birds chirping and I can see the dew on the grass. The sun is setting and I can smell the cold evening air. That is until I feel wind from all over. Xaden is talking about if you want a dragon to earn one but my eyes will only look at the beautiful blue dragon in front of me. She stares at me and almost acts like she knows me. It's odd but I feel connected in some way to this dragon. She bows her head and I repeat doing the same thing.

I move my eyes and Xaden is staring at me with those intense onyx eyes that pierce my soul. I tune into what he's saying and he finishes saying

"And to them you are just prey"

Well that doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy.