Chapter XXII

Having to Peel myself off the sweaty mat was not the highlight of my evening. I wince as my muscles protest and fight my movement in the high-intensity training that lasted for more than an hour. Every fiber of my being feels like it's been pushed to its limit, yet there's a sense of satisfaction knowing I feel relieved.

As dusk begins to descend upon the training grounds, long shadows across the sparring mats begin to form. It is dinner time and I'm aware of it due to my sense of smell being filled with food flowing through the corridor. As I throw my shirt on I make a journey to the Dinning hall.

I met Violet and the group and we ate and had a small talk. As dinner proceeded I felt an intense burning on my back.

Turning slightly, I'm met with Xaden's intense gaze, his eyes locked onto mine with an intensity that sends a shiver down my spine. There's something in the way he looks at me – a mixture of concern and something deeper, something I can't quite put my finger on.

I tear my gaze away, a flush creeping up my cheeks as I try to focus on the conversation at hand. But his eyes follow me, their piercing gaze burning into my soul. I shake off the weird feeling that burns in my heart.

Violet nudges me gently, a knowing smile playing at the corners of her lips. "You okay, Nora?" she asks, her voice soft with concern.

I nod, forcing a smile despite the turmoil churning inside me. "Yeah, just a little tired," I reply, hoping to brush off the unease that lingers in the air.

But as I steal another glance at Xaden, I can't shake the feeling that there's something more going on – something simmering beneath the surface that threatens to consume us both.

As the night wears on and we part ways, the burning sensation in my back lingers, a silent reminder of the unspoken tension that hangs between us, one that was never present before.

The night is full of tossing and turning. A feeling of heat and the fact I can't get comfortable doesn't help at all. I feel as though I'm on fire. I force myself to get up and out of bed and put my boots on. I am in nothing but a silk nightgown and combat boots. The burning fire within me tells me I need the cool crisp air. As I shuffle through the halls and once I make it outside I am overcome with a smell I've once known in my teen years.

I follow it to find Xaden leaning against the cobblestone wall smoking Churum. He just turns his head at me and we look eyes

"Nora what are you doing out here in that". 

I am now realizing my outfit choice was a horrible one. The thin nightgown that was practically sheer with black silk wrapped around my body with tiny spaghetti straps and my black Combat boots that were not fully laced.

" Why are you smoking? I thought you stopped" Is all I say as I ignore him and lean on the cold cobblestone.

"I'm sure you're out here for the same reason I am this little drug just nums the feeling"

I look at him in question and reach for the Churum rolled neatly.

I take a puff of the drug and in an instant, I feel the Burning sensation grow.

"This reminds me of when we would sit on the roof and smoke all night" I laugh as I speak

"You never could handle the Drug '' He speaks as he takes the Joint inhales deeply and blows it in my face. Our eyes meet and I start to giggle at the action and then it hits me.

"Wait you feel it too" I question

" Yes"

"What is it"

"Let's just say our dragons are having fun"

"SO I HAVE TO FEEL THIS EVERYTIME THEY FUCK" I say the comment a little too loud.

"I have woken up in many beds because of this feeling Nora you will get used to it though you are handling it better than I did the first time I learned"

"Do you feel it"

" In every vein in my body"

I take the joint from his hands and inhale deeply. The white smoke blows right into his face as I do so. A thought rolls to the thought of my mind and I smirk.

"I don't like that look, Nora"

The scent of churum lingered in the air, heightening our senses as we stood against the cobblestone wall.

I don't respond, I just take another hit of the joint and grab his chin. I bring his lips almost touching mine and I blow the smoke into his mouth as I look into his eyes. I pull back and smirk.

"For old time's sake" is all I can say before he smashes his mouth onto mine.

The heat explodes through my body as our lips meet for the first time in years.

Our lips mold together in ways words cannot explain as he slowly taps my butt I'm lifted and wrapped around his waist. My back is flush with the cobblestone wall. Again taking in that I'm only in a sheer black night out. I can feel the cold on my back and the heat on my chest.

I could taste the Churum he was once smoking on his tongue as the kiss escalated. I can feel the pressure of his body on my body as he moves the nightgown up and he slides his hands to my waist. My hands are traveling all over his body.

It all changes, though, as I feel a rush of power, flying out of my veins through my arms to my hands and my finger-shearing heat radiates my body.

We're both pulled apart by this new feeling as we separate he does it quickly almost like he's been burnt. I look at him with the question as I hold my hands in a holding position as Red Hot flames burn out of my palms

" We just had to get you a little riled up for your powers to show" He speaks with such certainty and power

"Xaden have you ever seen this before?"

" no, I can't say I have unless it's from a dragon who shoots it out of their mouth"

" fuck I can't have anything easy"

" No Nora you never seem to make things simple"

"Tell me about it"

We begin to walk side-by-side. The warmth of the building hits us when we walk in

"We won't speak about this correct," I say quickly.

"Which part the heat powers or the make out? " Xaden says, smirking.

" How about both?" I say bumping his shoulder as our paths take turns and we are both left on the other side walking to our dorms by ourselves.

As I sneak back into the sleeping chambers I am violent, lay quiet, and still with a small snore here and there I slide off my combat boots and fix my nightgown. I slide into bed and rest, my eyes still tasting the Churum as I drift to sleep.