Chapter 4 - The Castle

Seungcheol gathered all his strength to stand up and began limping towards the main gate of the castle. There was no sign of anyone living in there or being nearby, but he figured out that even if no one is inside, it's obviously much safer than spending the night outside in the cold forest. He could already feel his limbs freeze, and the pain in his leg increased with every step he took.

He slowly climbed the staircase that led to the castle's gate and he opened the door, peeking inside. The main hall of the castle was dark and cold. No wonder the gates opened so easily, seemingly no one lived there.

'Hello?' he asked unsure, opening the door a bit wider and going inside. His voice and footsteps echoed in the huge hall and his breath made a white puff in the cold air. He looked around. There were several items displayed on different shelves and desks around, paintings decorated the walls and there was a coat hanger by the door. A diamond chandelier was hanging from the ceiling. A staircase led upwards on the opposite side of the room, and corridors opened both on his left and right. The windows were huge and dusty, but at least some light came through them, even though the sky was still dark and cloudy. The whole place creeped Cheol out.

'Hello? Is there anybody in here?' he asked again, closing the gate behind himself. 'Sorry for invading... I got hurt and I was cold and alone... can anybody help me?' he said.

He still received no answer as he walked further inside. He suddenly stopped. He would've sworn he heard whispers.

'Stay quiet, maybe he will go away.'

Seungcheol quickly turned around, but he saw no one.

'Hello? Who's there?' he asked.

'He'd better leave before Master hears him.'

'Shut up, idiot! And don't move!'

'Hello!' spoke up Seungcheol again, more confident this time. He was pretty sure he heard voices. There were two people talking. They can probably help him.

His eyes spotted a candelabra that had three arms. Weirdly enough all three candles were lit. He sighed in relief - if the candles are still burning then someone must've been here just now! He picked the candelabra up and held it up higher to be able to see better.

'Hello' greeted suddenly a voice. Seungcheol turned around swiftly, but there was no one behind him.

'W-Where are you?' he stuttered.

'Up here' came the voice from above him. He looked up and gasped when the candelabra in his hand moved and with one of its arms it waved to him. Seungcheol almost dropped it in his surprise.

'W-What?!' he muttered as he took a closer look at the item. It was moving and talking to him. The candle holder was fucking alive.

'Idiot, why would you blow our cover just like that!!' exclaimed suddenly someone. Seungcheol held the candelabra closer to the shelf where he took it from and in the light of the candle he spotted a mantel clock that was talking. His brain was still progressing what he just saw. Are all items in this house alive?!

'This poor man clearly needs help!' argued the candelabra.

'Yes, and if Master sees him, he is going to kill him. Or worse!' argued the clock.

'This is crazy! Are you all alive?' gasped Seungcheol not even hearing what they were talking about. He grabbed the clock to take a closer look at it.

'Hey, put me down!!' yelled the clock.

'Come on, let us show you around, kind Sir!' suggested the candelabra, ignoring the clock's protests who was still talking about this 'Master'. 'You can warm up by the fire' he continued. Seungcheol followed the candle holder unsure, watching as it easily made its way inside the castle towards another room.