𝕊𝕛𝕦

Chapter seven

(I've officially applied for the school I wanna go to this autumn)

..-. .- .-.. .-..

Thea could understand how she knew. She could explain easily that it was the feeling of a soul that did not belong there. She was a child of the underworld, of course she could feel the eidolons that were spying on them as they tried to put the eight against each other.

But she couldn't control them, and that was the real problem.

Thea had known of her parentage since she was seven and accidentally shadow travelled to the underworld while her father was having dinner with his wife. Had she not passed out mere seconds after, there would probably be questions asked that she would have to answer.

She'd woken up in a room, in a bed, that she did not know and by her side had the goddess of spring been sitting. And it was Persephone who explained it all. Explained the gods, her powers, and her position in the underworld as a child of Hades.

It had been a struggle in the beginning; finding out what she excelled at. First it was the shadows - which she could manage quite fine. Shadow travelling was never really a problem, for at some point she learned to ignore the dizzy feeling that followed.

Then it was summoning of the dead - skeletons and such - which she absolutely sucked at. It didn't help that their structure creeped her out as well.

So it came to summoning the dead as spirits. It didn't zap her of any strength that would knock her out, and it even calmed her to some extent.

Since then, with the exception of... the pit, Thea Atalanta Goldaxe (Atalanta Theadora at some point) had never struggled with summoning and controlling dead spirits. Even Minos was not a problem once she got out of the labyrinth and learned the truth of his help.

But the eidolons? They were out of her control, and she couldn't understand why. They weren't supposed to be, for they were dead, just as Ina, Jack, and Drew whom she could control easily (even though she usually just told them what to do and let them do it themselves). But for some reason, the eidolons were still in the room, laughing at her incompetence.

When Thea was done explaining about the eidolons ("forgetting" to mention her struggle), the others looked at her uncomfortably. Up on deck, Hedge sang something that sounded like "In the Navy, while Blackjack stomped his hooves, whinnying in protest.

Finally Hazel exhaled. "Thea is right."

"How can you be sure?" Annabeth asked.

"I've met eidolons," Hazel said. "In the Underworld, when I was ... you know." Dead. "And,  not to mention, if anyone has the power with dead spirits here, it's Thea."