40-Beginning of Chapter 14

Rue

When life fucks you over, you don't stay.

You don't stand in the fire watching your goddamn house go up in flames. You don't sob and cry pathetic blubbering tears, sniffing and whimpering in torn shoes—the last of all your worldly possessions. You don't lament how badly you'd fucked up, curse the world for your own goddamn mistakes.

Nothing good would come from being a damsel in fucking distress. All you would get would be a nose filled with snot, and your mistakes staring straight back at you in the fucking face. So you leave, give the world your middle finger, and you never turn back.

And that was what Rue decided to do instead of standing in the dregs of the party gaping like a dumbass at Halcyon's fat, bouncy ass. She'd turned back to the room, duffel bag packed with the last of everything that she had. Her scent was concealed, rotting semen smeared all over her skin. Her jugs of suppressants deep in her bags—no evidence could be left for the prying eyes of an Alpha.

The trek out of the party was a tad humiliating. No other partygoer had homeless written on their foreheads just as Rue seemed to have. Not that they seemed to care with tongues down throats, alcohol warm in their bellies, and contraband slipped between fingers. But she supposed to her fucked up anxiety-pumped mind, it must feel as if everyone was looking at her. And she swore they were, with smirks and half-smiles, their eyes following her every move, stuck on the bulky weight of her belongings.

But of course, someone had to stop her two steps out the door. His hand on her wrist tugged backwards as if he cared. And it had her chest jolting, her pulse spinning in fear. Head turned there was only one gorgeous face in view with his brows twisted up like he gave a damn.

Her lips twisted, pursed tighter. Seraphim, decked in the softest blue silk and jeans. Seraphim, with creamy glowing skin and eyes that were never lined with the coal of exhaustion. Seraphim, who'd tried to fuck her up bad. God, he deserved a jail cell, but she supposed with what she'd done to him he could try to press charges too. And he'd win, maybe they would share a jail cell for the night.

Something insidious hissed from her throat, held back it only made her fill to bursting.

She pulled back with a snarl. "I don't want to talk to you. I'm not in the mood to play nice."

"Where are you going?" he replied, blinking; his eyes seemed wider because of the paleness of his pupils. There was concern in those eyes, concern that she didn't like. And his voice only grew tighter, colder, sweeping through the air and laced in the wind. It curled fingers around her throat, then threatened and burned. "Stay."

She let out a laugh, and turned to face him head-on, a tilt of her head. "You know that doesn't work on me."

His lips parted. "But—"

"I could be leaving to visit my Omega?" she rolled her eyes, "staying out because of my Rut?" This had him gaping at her, mouth opening and closing like the fish he was. He pursed his lips, biting plump flesh, eyes darting down as if he knew.She snapped. "What?"

"There's space in my room..." he mumbled, fidgeting. "You could take my bed." He caught her gaze, eyes locking with hers. "I don't mind." Goddamn, he'd seen it all. Rue's scowl deepened. It seemed that news spread fast, and the gaping hole in her wall was tonight's best entertainment. Perhaps, they'd all watched, had seen Halcyon prowling the grounds, and had all shared a laugh at her idiocy. She was a clown in a fucking circus, and Rue hadn't even known. "But I share with Dante." His gaze darted back up to her. "He'll be nice if you—"

"Oh, please." Rue sighed. "You think I'll stay, with you?" She rolled her eyes. "You wanted me dead!"

"No! I don't!" He gasped as if scandalized, as if he hadn't tried to kill her. "A-and I—I didn't drug you on purpose," he began to explain, stuttering over his words as if he were nervous in her presence. "Anything I cook, or touch will contain my poison. I just—It's not something I can really control. And I know you won't die because I've seen—"